Allow the Shoyu/sugar reduce and glaze the spam. Toss to combine and let it rest for 5 minutes. It's the ultimate salty (and slightly sweet) meal on the go! But my favorite thing about SPAM musubi is that you can make a big batch, individually wrap them and pop them in the freezer. Then place a plastic musubi mold at the center. Remove the mold and sprinkle the rice patty with Furikake. First, pan fry the ham. I had a mixture of fear, excitement, and determination not to let the cute high school guys in our group think I was anything but gutsy. It’s basically a little plastic press that helps in pressing the rice and spam together. It makes a nice presentation on a plate to have a crisply formed rectangle of grain. I've visited Hawaii MORE THAN 35 TIMES. 1 spam musubi mold. Press the rice down with the … I fry all the Spam, then add the teriyaki and let it thicken to get the Spam shiny and caramelized. This SPAM musubi recipe is an easy Hawaiian style snack that’s as simple as it is delicious. Whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar and sugar or honey to make your marinade. My folks used to buy it every now and then and I remembered I liked it. If you can't find a sushi or musubi mold, try cutting off the ends of the spam can and use it as a mold! It’s very, very important to make sure there are no sharp edges on the can. Aloha! How to Make Spam Musubi? Enjoy SPAM musubi, chicken musubi, rice musubi with a quality mold that is easy to use and easy to clean. The thing I love the most about it is how easy it is to make! Hawaiian snack that is fun to make. Place one to two slices … "Antique Carved Wooden Molds Chinese Rice Moon Cake Presses One Plank with Three Molds One Single Mold with Handle Intricate Floral Design with Chinese Characters Plank is 11.25" Long x 3.25" Wide Single Mold … You could get them cheaply at any convenience store alongside the manapua, bentos and somen salads. There are spam musubi molds available for sale to help you give it its shape. It is the perfect size! Lightly wet the inside of the musubi mold with water. I got a handy little mold from a Japanese grocery store near by, but you can also mold by hand or by using the spam can itself. My sons and their friends enjoy assembling their own Spam musubi rolls, and then eating them. Tip: Keep musubi mold in warm water until ready to use to avoid sticking of rice before starting. Musubi is typically composed of spam… Let it marinate for 30 minutes. The rectangular rice press would be found at a kitchen speciality store, online sites such as Amazon.com or picked up on a trip to Hawaii for a few dollars. You can also get single musubi presses, and divided musubi presses. There are 2 ways to use the spam can as your musubi mold. 5 out of 5 stars (170) 170 reviews $ 18.49 … There are many musubi variations that you can make, but Spam musubi is the most well known. Add Sushi Rice to the mold, pressing down firmly and evenly, so there is about 1-1 1/2 inches of rice. Press 1/4 cup of rice in musubi mold. Place a strip (or two depending on the size of your mold) under your musubi mold. How to Make Spam Musubi? Perfect for snacking on the go! Sprinkle a little furikake over the Spam, then fill the mold with some rice. Then fill the mold 3/4 full with rice, that’s about two inches high with rice. Wrap the seaweed around the Musubi. 4. Wrap the nori around the rice-spam-rice stack. Take out saran wrap and mold the rice with the spam. They were even available in the school snack bar! Spam Musubi Sauce Recipe. Since making these, I’ve experimented with putting the Spam … I’ve linked the mold we use below in the “Shop this post” section or you can find it in my Tools. 4. Made with pantry staples like canned meat and rice and cooked with a sweet and savory sauce, spam musubi is going to become a staple in your home after making it for the first time. Love the HS story about you introducing it to your classmates in PA. Add tofu to the marinade and set aside. Spam Musubi tastes best at room temperature or slightly warm. 3. Add the spam musubi slices and toss to combine. Sprinkle rice with furikake. Be careful not to cut yourself on the edge of the can! Use the press to compact it in the mold. Then sprinkle a thin layer of furikake over the rice. If you’re looking for easy Hawaiian food,  SPAM musubi can’t be beat. (exactly the size of the spam can) It’s easy to use. Cut your nori sheets into 2 1/2 - 3 inch wide strips. Have a small bowl of water ready: you can dip your hands in if rice starts to … The first thing you need is a Spam Musubi mold - this is a good one. The nori sheets and furikake seasoning can be found in the Asian food department of larger supermarkets. But the variations on SPAM musubi are endless; you can marinate the SPAM, add a scrambled egg, make them bite sized, or even substitute chicken or beef for the meat. In fact, the washed Spam tin becomes the rice ball mold. Making Spam Musubi. An adventurous eater, I followed the example of the group without question and grabbed two SPAM musubi, for a total cost of $1. Designed by ThemeSphere. Place a strip of nori (shiny side down) onto a cutting board. From shop ChrisandChloeFamily. The checkout counter had a tall heated glass case, filled with rows and rows of perfect plastic wrapped rectangles of rice and meat in a seaweed blanket. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon furikake over rice. Cut the nori seaweed into 5 stripes and set aside. My press is a long one that makes two musubi, so I then cut it in half with a knife. You can finally make your favorite recipe...SPAM® Brand Musubi! On a flat surface, line a sheet of plastic wrap, then add a nori seaweed and place the Musubi mold in the center of the seaweed. Thanks for supporting our family business! Heat a saute pan large enough to hold the slices of spam in a single layer. And they’re AMAZING dipped in my Traditional Chinese Plum Sauce! To heat from frozen, keep wrapped and microwave for 30-45 seconds. My sons and their friends enjoy assembling their own Spam musubi rolls, and then eating them. Only time will tell how long this would last. However, don’t let the fact that’s super easy fool you, because it’s incredibly delicious! If you aren’t going to eat all the musubi in the first few hours, wrap each musubi in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge to keep it fresh. If not, then Amazon is your new best friend. Let us know in the comments! … You can use a spoon to press on top of the slice of SPAM to avoid getting your fingers near those edges. If your Spam Musubi has been refrigerated, heat it up in the microwave for 10-20 seconds for best results. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and get your free download of our favorite healthy cute kid snacks. Layer on a slice of Spam. Spam musubi is ubiquitous in Hawaii’s food culture and sold at almost every convenience or Mom-and-Pop stores on the islands. However, it’s not quite popular on the mainland. Subscribe for more videos! Pack down 1/2 cup rice. Place a Spam musubi mold over it, in the center, then place a slice of Spam into the mold. Place your musubi maker on one side of the nori, right in the middle. Spam - Spam Classic or Spam Lite (low sodium). That way, each musubi has the same shape and the rice is packed tightly. Wrap nori around musubi … Place a Spam musubi mold over it, in the center, then place a slice of Spam into the mold. Place your sliced SPAM on top and use the press to firmly press it down and compact the rice. Layer on a slice of Spam. Then you'll need the 3 key ingredients: Cooked rice - Japanese rice short or medium grain rice, I like Koda Farms. The rectangular rice press … Copyright © 2016 ThemeSphere. We also made them at school (in the science classrooms) and sold them as fundraisers. Top with another 1/4 cup rice. And for that reason, the small size Spam can is perfect. Mo Bettah and Bambucha Musubi Makers by Ko Craft help you make multiple musubi at once. We love it so much! Here are some options for purchasing musubi supplies on Amazon. Tasted just like the musubi I loved in Hawaii! My wife was in the mood for some spam musubi which is a very easy to make recipe for someone that doesnt really cook like myself. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Place musubi mold (or Spam can with bottom removed) in the center of the nori. Place musubi mold on nori. It’s also slightly caramelized since we marinate the Spam slices in a sweet and salty sauce before frying it. If you’d like to try your hand at making SPAM musubis, but don’t want to get a musubi mold yet, you can use the SPAM can to press your musubi. Take spam out of can (save for later) and slice spam into eighths (approximately ½ inch each). 5.0 out of 5 stars If you want Spam Musubi … This popular Hawaiian treat made of Spam, rice, nori seaweed, a sweet and savory glaze is a hearty, tasty, and handy snack the whole family will love. Then you can remove the press and wrap your nori strips around the musubi. It’s basically a little plastic press that helps in pressing the rice and spam together. Press the rice down with the musubi maker press or use your hands until it is about 3/4- to 1-inch thick, adding more rice as needed. Lay down half a square of nori, shiny-side down. 3. Making the musubi takes a bit of time. Wrap it up! My go to method for SPAM musubi is an easy basic one, with a simple marinade to give that extra pop of flavor. A comfort food in the Islands, spam musubi it’s a staple at most homes. For example: 2 cups of uncooked rice with 3 cups of water. … That way, each musubi … Press mold down evenly on rice. Some people say you need to use sushi rice, but in Hawaii we also used regular rice, just cooking it to be sticky. Approximate cost/serving: I try to buy SPAM on sale because it just costs more on the mainland than it did in Hawaii. Absolutely! You can cook your rice in a rice cooker or on the stove. Place a Spam musubi maker mold over it, in the middle, then place a slice of Spam into the mold. Fill mold with about three inches of rice. Wrap with a nori seaweed stripe. Lightly brown the SPAM, 2-3 minutes on each side. It is a perfect mold for this musubi because the size of sliced spam and the … Let sit at least 15 minutes (this is a great time to cook your rice!). (dip the mold and your fingers … This is the spam musubi maker that I usually use when I’m making it at home. Scoop enough rice to fill the bottom of the maker, roughly 1/4 inch up the side of the mold, give it a quick pack down with the top of the musubi maker. There is a specific mold for assembling the Spam Musubi as seen here. Enjoy SPAM musubi, chicken musubi, rice musubi with a quality mold that is easy to use and easy to clean. Shape the Spam Musubi: Press around ⅕ cup rice into the spam musubi press. Mo Bettah and Bambucha Musubi Makers by Ko Craft help you make multiple musubi at once. 6. This helps us to cover some of the costs for this site. None of us had eaten breakfast, due to the early hour, so we stopped by a 7-11 to grab some quick protein. After a few weeks of bringing musubis to school regularly, I could see the feigned disgust change to intrigue, and sure enough, they began asking to try my “foreign food”. You can use it for other things beside making Spam musubi, as it allows you to mold any kind of cooked grain that reasonably sticks together, e.g. Gluten free: Make sure that your nori only contains salt, oil and seaweed. Perfect for snacking on the go! Flip the pieces and allow them to brown. This is the spam musubi maker that I usually use when I’m making it at home. The mold and handle print nested together with 1.0mm [0.040in] gap, which some printers may struggle with. What interesting flavor combinations! I make my Spam musubi sauce recipe with soy sauce, sake (or any other strong liquor), rice vinegar, cornstarch and water. It’s based on Japanese musubi, but the teriyaki Spam gives it a classic Hawaiian twist. Place your Spam musubi mold on top, making sure the edge of the mold meets up with the edge of the seaweed. My musubi quickly became quite the lunchroom commodity, and soon I could trade them for pretty much anything I wanted. But the year of high school I spent in Pennsylvannia, my sophomore year, there was not a single musubi in sight, so I decided to start making my own. Spam Musubi Mold. Thank you so much for your support! I find it easiest to use a rice cooker, or the rice setting on the Instant Pot. No way!”  So I happily ate them myself, secretly glad that I didn’t have to share. How to Make the Best SPAM Musubi (Even Without a Mold) | Hawaiian SPAM Musubi Recipe, 2 tablespoons honey, sugar, or sweetener of your choice, 3-5 sheets nori or seaweed, 10-12 inch squares, 2-3 cups sticky rice, hot or room temperature. At its most basic you have just three ingredients: SPAM, rice and nori (or seaweed). Press … Scoop about ⅓ or ½ cup rice into the mold, depending on how much rice you like, and then press down with the mold into an even shape. We'd love to keep in touch. Like, where’s it been my whole adult spam eating life? Costco is usually the best deal. Place spam in teriyaki sauce, then putting it in mold. I had my first SPAM musubi at a convenience store on my way to dawn patrol, which is a sunrise surf session. It's a popular snack or lunch food, traditionally served with soy sauce or Japanese mayonnaise. Keep scrolling for one of our favorite Hawaiian Spam recipes! I will have to experiment. I like to lay out the strip of nori (seaweed) and put the musubi mold on top of it. Place a strip (or two depending on the size of your mold) under your musubi mold. Moisten lower half of musubi maker (see Note), and place on lower third of nori. It shattered the current 628-pound record held by Ed Sugimoto, who created a monster musubi back in … Spam Musubi mold The first thing you need is a Spam Musubi mold - this is a good one. Hawaiian Musubi Mold Set and Spam Slicer Set - None Toxic, BPA Free, Easy to Clean, Made in Japan ChrisandChloeFamily. Heat the vegetable oil and sesame oil in a large pan over medium heat. It's a simple mold to make 1 spam musubi but I've used other molds before that are of better build quality and are less flimsy. First, pan fry the ham. Just open both ends of the can and use it as your mold, pressing the rice down with the piece of SPAM you’re using. Press musubi out of the mold. There are spam musubi molds available for sale to help you give it its shape. (If you don’t have a mold, you can line a clean Spam can with plastic wrap instead, and place a slice of Spam at the bottom.) Yet others like me, use an oshizushi (pressed sushi) mold. Place musubi mold across the middle of the nori. Add 2 ounces of steamed rice and one slice of SPAM® Teriyaki, then add 2 more ounces of rice. With the amount of musubi we make, it’s been completely worth it to buy an inexpensive mold. Now, Hubby says no way but I bet if I snuck it in like this SPAM musubi recipe he’d gladly eat it. My Spam musubi sauce is basically a teriyaki sauce, with some soy sauce, sugar and maybe a bit of rice wine vinegar or mirin if I have some on hand. If you buy anything on Amazon using one of these links, we get a small commission without it costing you anything extra. The nori sheets and furikake seasoning can be found in the Asian food department of larger supermarkets. Place a slice of Spam on top and then wrap the musubi … Get the best deals for spam musubi mold at eBay.com. It’s very easy to assemble this wonderful Hawaiian snack once you have the tool. Simple directions are included. Use the press to hold the rice down with two thumbs and pull the mold upward to unmold the musubi with your index fingers. Press 1/4 cup of rice in musubi mold. Spam is … All rights reserved. Place the press firmly on top of the SPAM and carefully slide your mold up and off of the musubis. Place musubi mold (or Spam can with bottom removed) in the center of the nori. Insert saran wrap in the can that had the spam and place approximate ⅓ cooked rice in can. I explained and offered them a taste. In the non-stick pan over medium high heat, add the Spam in one layer. Fill mold with about three inches of rice. Cook until crispy on … Haha.. it tastes great, is economical, and goes perfectly w/miso soup (for dinner or to make it a complete meal). Repeat the with the rest and serve it. Or use your hands to shape them too! 5. If making two musubi in one mold, use a sharp, wet knife to slice the rice in the middle to form two separate musubi. Remove from the press and top with the cooked Spam. It’s a comfort food that we grew up with. Here's a tip: use the spam can as a mold … Shape the Spam Musubi: Press around ⅕ cup rice into the spam musubi press. I'm Marcie Cheung, a wanderlusting mom of two and a professional hula dancer. One of the most popular Hawaiian snacks is Spam Musubi. It’s been years since I’ve tasted SPAM. Have you ever had SPAM musubi? Let it marinate for 30 minutes. Kid friendly foods rich in nutrition & flavor. This SPAM musubi recipe is an easy Hawaiian style snack that's as simple as it is delicious. “WHAT is THAT?!!!”. 4 offers from CDN$40.96. I will definitely be making again! In large skillet, cook SPAM® Classic until lightly browned and crisp. Then you'll need the 3 key ingredients: Cooked rice - Japanese rice short or medium grain rice, I like … Learn how your comment data is processed. Fold the strips of nori up and over the rice and spam, moistening the ends with a little water to seal. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon furikake over rice. Place the slices of spam into the pan and allow it to lightly brown. Place rice into musubi press or line inside of empty SPAM® Classic can with plastic wrap and place rice in can. This 2-piece, non-stick musubi mold with SPAM® Brand embossed in plastic. It’s slightly sweet and savory and has those little smoky notes thanks to the use of Spam (yes, the canned meat!). Wrap with a nori seaweed stripe. Sturdy not flimsy at all. Make sure the rice is evenly distributed. The first day I brought a SPAM musubi to school, my friends reacted rather strongly. Going to college in San Diego, I ate a lot of Spam musubi and still enjoy making it. How to Make Spam Musubi with a Mold. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. You'll need to position the mold* in the center, near the end of the nori strip. 2 Pack Musubi Maker Press - BPA Free, Non-Stick & Non-Toxic Sushi Making Kit - Spam Musubi Mold - Make Your Own Professional Sushi at Home - Hawaiian Spam Musubi, Kimbab, Onigiri, Restaurant Quality 4.8 out of 5 stars 160. It's perfect for breakfast, lunch, or even a dinner appetizer. Have a small bowl of water ready: you can dip your hands in if rice starts to stick to them. In the van we dug hungrily into the steaming rice “sandwiches”, and I knew instantly that I had a new favorite snack. 7. When the rice has met alot of pressure, remove the mold by mulling it upward, and pushing down on the top piece. Pour the shoyu over the spam and drizzle in the sugar. Scoop some rice (I like to make about a 1/2" thick layer) into your mold. Then place a plastic musubi mold at the center. Scoop about ⅓ or ½ cup rice into the mold, depending on how much rice you like, and then press down with the mold into an even shape. Remove the mold and sprinkle the rice patty with Furikake. Once your rice and SPAM are cooked (yes, you’re actually suppose to COOK the SPAM! Press musubi out of the mold. Once Spam has cooled, set up your musubi mold, rice, and nori. Drizzle with grill sauce or cooking sauce. Cook time does not include cooking the rice. The only special equipment you will need is a Spam musubi mold which you can find at a specialty Japanese or Hawaiian market. I get all my Asian ingredients at an Asian grocery store. Nutritional and cost information is for estimating purposes only, and subject to variations due to region, seasonality, and product availability. ), it’s time to mold or press your musubi. “Meat from CAN? Your Spam should now be sandwiched between two layers of rice. Spam Musubi. Place your Musubi mold across the middle of the nori. Place one to two slices of SPAM on top of the compacted rice (again depending on your mold). Just use 1.5 parts water to 1 part rice. To save for later, simply wrap each musubi in plastic wrap to keep the rice fresh. You only need a couple pantry staples to create this dish at home. With the spam and rice ready, you are now able to assemble the musubi. Put Seaweed under mold. Also use gluten free soy sauce or tamari. My mother and I show you how to make this Hawaiian-Island favorite. While you can make spam musubi without the mold, it’s SIGNIFICANTLY easier to do so with a mold. It’s very easy to assemble this wonderful Hawaiian snack once you have the tool. When you’re ready to eat it, simply pop it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften up the rice. Toss to combine and let it rest for 5 minutes. SPAM® Brand Musubi Mold. Spam Musubi from Seriouseats.com. Clear sushi mold that will help you make sushi rolls the foolproof way! Kimo’s Hawaiian Grill is behind the 1,120-pound combination of spam, rice and seaweed. Spam musubi is ubiquitous in Hawaii's food culture and sold at almost every convenience or Mom-and-Pop stores on the islands. Non Stick Musubi Maker Press, BPA Free Sushi Making Kit Onigiri Mold, Non-Toxic Luncheon Meat Pr… Sprinkle another 1/2 teaspoon furikake. Place the rice and spam in the middle of the nori. The first time I tried this, I ended up cutting my hand. In a bowl combine the sushi rice with the rice vinegar. In a bowl combine the sushi rice with the rice vinegar.