And starboard is the corresponding word for the right side of a boat. Instead, you simply shout 'mainsheet!'. Boom – spar that supports the foot of a sail. This makes it incredibly easy to trim your lines. If you want to learn how to make your sailing dream reality within a year, leave your email and I'll send you free updates. These engines aren't very big or powerful, and most sailboats up to 32' use an outboard motor. The hull can be divided into different parts: deck, keel, cabin, waterline, bilge, bow, stern, rudder, and many more. PS: my grandparents were from Friesland and emigrated to America. A technique used to shorten or reduce the sail area. And if you forget one, you're free to look it up in this guide. In any way, it definitely is the most solid backup navigator you can get for the money. Amidships is the central part … It helps to lock the mainsheet in place, fixing the mainsails angle to the wind. But before we head out on the water, we need to learn some of the specific terms that are used to describe common parts of all boats. This allows it to plane, increasing the hull speed. You'll find telltales on both your jib and mainsail. It's the most old-skool navigation tool out there, but I'm convinced it's also one of the most reliable. Here is a brief intro to sailing and navigation terms that will help you understand better when you read an article or book. On powerboats, they tend to have an angle. The keel is a large fin that offsets the tendency to capsize by providing counterbalance. Sailboats mostly use displacement hulls, which is a shape that displaces water when moving through it. The corresponding parts are the same relative to the front of the boat. Most larger boats have some sort of roofed part, which is called the cabin. Most sailboats nowadays use, besides a compass and a map, a chartplotter. ABACK - Said of a sail which is depberately set with the wind on the wrong side or is accidentally ‘taken aback’ by a shift of wind or movement of the helm. And I mean each and every one of them. Length overall; the distance between the most forward part of the boat and the most aft part. Stern: The rear part of a boat is called the ‘stern’.. Transom: The ‘transom’ is the stern cross-section of your boat. Bow – the forward part of a boat. On the other hand, when you prepare a rope for a specific task, it becomes employed and is a line. Want to learn how to use a compass quickly and reliably? What a great day to go boating. Glossary of Sailing Terms A. Abaft: A location on the boat but further to the rear of the boat. Lines are just another word for ropes. However, if you feel I've left something out that really should be in here, please let me know in the comments below, so I can update the article. Line – Refers to any pieces of rope located on a boat. Rigging varies for different rig types, but since most sailboats are use a sloop rig, nearly all sailboats use the following running rigging: There are some more tensioning lines, but I'll leave them for now. Many centuries ago, ships were always moored on the left side; the helm was on the right side and would have been a hinderance while mooring. Aft spring line. A handy tip for remembering which side is port, is to remember that port and left have the same number of letters. About us As I mentioned: there are all kinds, types, and shapes of sails. Minimum 10 foot bowline is required equipment. I find your Sailboat Parts Explained to be clear and concise. But they are just as important as all the other parts. But there are some lines with a specific function that have a different name. COMMON SAILING GLOSSARY OF TERMS Abeam Off to the side of a vessel at right angles to the boat’s centerline. Refers to the forward part of a pleasure craft. I'll show you those specific parts later on. a rubber object meant to protect the sides of the boat from the dock or other objects. These terms come mainly from the great age of sailing ships, the 16th to 18th centuries, and almost all hail from the two great seafaring peoples of the day, those being the brave English and the most hated Dutch. We're going to dive into each segment in detail. It is connected to the helm or tiller. Copyright © 2021 ImproveSailing.com Point of Sail: The boat’s direction relative to the wind. Divisions Within the Boat. Something like that. The transom is the backplate of the boat's hull. Here is the result of my research on sail terminology. When docking your boat, you fasten a rope or cable to the. cabin An enclosed room on a deck or flat, especially one used as living quarters. The mast is the pole on a sailboat that holds the sails. When looking towards the bow, the left-hand side of the boat is the port side. If you learn anything from this article, here are the most important parts of any sailboat. BILGE – As part of your duties on board, you might have to check the “bilge.” This is the deepest part of the vessel’s hull, where water can collect. Reefing. The stern is the back part of the hull. Most sailboats carry 1 - 3 anchors: one bow anchor (the main one) and two stern anchors. You can divide up a sailboat in four general segments. Your subscription could not be saved. Who knows, perhaps I'll write it. If you don't know what all of this means, no worries: neither did I. Backstay Performs the same job as the Forestay but is attached to the stern of the boat as opposed to the bow Boom A horizontal spar attached to the aft of the mast just below the sail. But for now, all we need to know is that the hull is the rounded, floating part of any sailboat. The front of a boat is called the bow, while the rear of a boat is called the stern. Let' s start at the bottom and work up: The heavy wing at the bottom of the boat in the middle is called the keel.. This article came together as I looked up stuff that I did not understand. For an overview of the most common sail types, check out my Guide on Sail Types here (with photos). Just a brief mention of the different deck hardware parts: The mainsheet traveler is a rail in the cockpit that is used to control the mainsheet. Most sailboats have some sort of motor to help out when there's just the slightest breeze. The rigging consists of all kinds of lines, cables, spars, and hardware. Nautical Directions and Terms. The glossary is primarily relevant to the first two sections of this handbook and is not meant to be representative of the entire field of maritime archaeology. Now that we know where the bow, stern, port and starboard are located, let’s learn some more important boating terms. Running rigging consists of the lines, sheets, and hardware that are used to control, raise, lower, shape and manipulate the sails on a sailboat. It is important to know this to be able to identify port … BOAT HOOK – This one does what it says on the tin – it’s a pole with a hook on the end. If someone asked to you, “Can you look in the aft stowage locker for … Bow: The forward or front part of a boat is called the ‘bow’.. You'll find these at the back of the boat. cabin boy An attendant to passengers and crew, often a young man. The bilges are the part where the bottom and the sides of the hull meet. If you want to learn more about them, here's the Illustrated Guide to Boat Hull Types (with 11 Examples). It's time for the good stuff. BOATERexam.com® is the leader in boater education across North America and has educated and certified more than You'll find the compass typically in the cockpit. Sailing terminology- parts of the boat. It's a bit of an odd duck, so I threw all sorts of stuff into this category. There are two types of rigging: running and standing rigging. cable length A measure of length or distance equivalent to ⁄10 nautical mile (608 feet; 185 metres) in the United Kingdom and 100 fathoms (600 feet; 183 metres) in the United States; other countries use different equivalents. Sailing certificate courses such as RYA, ASA and US Sailing require a basic understanding of these terms. I believe it will help my new crew learn the language that we use on the boat quickly without being overwhelmed. It's easy. 8918 KM Leeuwarden Heave too. Refers to the back end of a pleasure craft. Just after reading this first article I feel excited and ready to set sails and go!! For example, if you’re going straight into the … Starboard side. Parts of the sail, mautical terms that relate to the different parts of a sail. I'll walk you through them one by one, and explain each part's function. Most smaller sailboats (below 30') have a tiller, most larger sailboats use a helm. STUDY. When looking towards the bow, the left-hand side of the boat is the port side. In this section we will talk about parts of the boat that are used to move it along. Rigging is the means with which the sails are attached to the mast. Better still you might want to ask most simply, what are nautical terms??? Instead of simply calling the different sides of a hull front, back, left and right, we use different names in sailing. cable 1. Your hardware consists of cleats, winches, traveler and so on. Nautical terminology is confusing for not-so-salty boatbuilders and sailors. Keel – The part of a boat that is fixed underwater and is used to provide stability and prevent drifting sideways. When you first get into sailing, there's a lot of sailboat parts to learn. Most boats are set up so that the entire vessel can be operated from the cockpit (hence the name). Breakwater – a structure to protect a harbour or beach from the force of the sea. The front of the boat is called the bow. Most sailboats have only one or two masts. Contact us The Endeavour Sailing School full glossary of sailing terms. There are a lot of different sail rig types and it can be difficult to remember what's what. The headsail of a sailboat is any sail set forward of the mast (on a single masted boat) or foremast (the mast nearest the bow). The mast is crucial for any sailboat: without a mast, any sailboat would become just a regular boat. The bow is the front part of the hull. Port: The left side of a boat when you’re seated and looking forward. Here are the different parts that belong to the standing rigging: Ropes play a big part in sailing, and especially in control over the sails. Generally, boat owners paint the waterline and use antifouling paint below it, to protect it from marine growth. For example, did you know that the two sides of a boat are called "port" and "starboard", not left and right? They are generally very round and use buoyancy to support its own weight. Let me explain it in this article. Battens are horizontal sail reinforcers that flatten and stiffen the sail. Daniel. Thank you Shawn for the well written, clear and easy to digest introductory article. PLAY. I've tried to be as comprehensive as possible, without getting into the real nitty gritty. caboose A small ship's kitchen, or galley on deck. Winches are mechanical or electronic spools that are used to easily trim lines and sheets. It also houses the mainsheet traveler and winches for the jib. İ think this is a good explanation of the difference between a ”rope” and a ”line”: Rope is unemployed cordage. After reading this article, you'll recognize every single sailboat part and know them by name. Bow Line Also known as a painter. In that case, the main is easy to recognize. Rigging, in other words, mostly consists of all kinds of lines. Modern large sailing yachts use electronic winches for nearly all lines. A dock line that keeps the boat from moving forward. The hull is the shell of the boat, which contains all the internal components. So I've come up with a system. In a way, it's the cap of the boat, and it holds the deck hardware and rigging. The shape of the bow determines partially how the boat handles. I live in Friesland, The Netherlands, which is famous for its great lakes and lots of sailing opportunities. You will find all of these parts in some shape or form on almost any sailboat. A sailboat doesn't have to be expensive if you know what you're doing. I own a small 20 foot yacht called a Red witch made locally back in the 70s here in Western Australia i found your article great and enjoyed reading it i know it will be a great help for me in my future leaning to sail regards John. Without the hull, there would be no boat. Okay, we now have a good starting point and a good basic understanding of the different sailboat parts. longitude Geographic distance east or west of the prime meridian expressed in degrees and minutes. ImproveSailing is compensated for referring traffic and business to this companies. Nautical Terms Relating to Sailing and Navigation and Boatbuilding. Bow of a boat. I am taking on new crew to race with me on my Flying Scot (19ft dingy). Typically, the keel carries ballast in the tip, creating a counterweight to the wind's force on the sails. In other words, when it is in a coil and has not been assigned a job, it is just a rope. (Note: The headsail tack is the name for the lower corner of the headsail -- the sail closest to the front of the boat.) This be a fair and true listing of words having to do with ships and sailing, 225 of them in all. The jib is the standard sized headsail on a Bermuda Sloop rig (which is the sail plan most modern sailboats use). Starboard is the right side of a sailboat. Reading about small boat navigation and sailing is like reading a foreign language. For sailboats, stability is much more important, so the hull is rounded throughout, increasing its buoyancy and hydrodynamic properties. Knowing the parts of a sailing boat is essential to sailing with other crew, it allows communications and instructions to be passed around and understood with confidence. It houses the outside navigation and systems interfaces, like the compass, chartplotter, and so on. Ballast – Weight in the form of heavy material (water, metal or stone) placed low in a boat hull to … It's simply the nautical word for 'front'. LOL!! The hull is what provides the sailboat with its buoyancy, allowing it to stay afloat. Did you find the answer to your specific question? Best if at least ¼” in diameter. That would make for a gigantic article. The cockpit is the recessed part in the deck where the helmsman sits or stands. A dock line that keeps the boat from moving aft . I could probably do an entire guide on the different sheets on a sailboat. And starboard is the corresponding word for the right side of a boat. Mast – A vertical pole on a boat that is used for supporting sails. The right side of a pleasure craft when looking forward. Aft also means back. Three masts or more is less common. Block The nautical term for a pulley Boom A horizontal pole that attaches to the mast and is used to extend the foot of the mainsail Bow The forward part of a boat … The rigging is what is used to attach your sails and mast to your boat. The last two are optional and are mostly used by bluewater cruisers. ABAFT THE BEAM - The sector on both sides of the boat from abeam to astern. Below, you'll find a complete overview of the different parts. Sailing Terms. Head - The bathroom of a boat and also the top corner of a sail Helm - The means by which the sailboat is steered: the tiller or wheel Jackline - A line, strap, or wire secured over the deck as an attachment point for the tether of a safety harness Jib - The triangular sail attached to the forestay It tends to have some benches. These two characteristics make sure it is a smooth ride. I've also made sure to add good illustrations and clear diagrams. The boom is the horizontal pole on the mast, that holds the mainsail in place. Home; My Boats; Building a Skerry; Building a Tender; Points of Sail; Making Sails; Boat types, terminology; Nautical Terms Relating to Sails, Rigs and Sailing. A. Abeam: At right angles to the fore and aft line of the boat. It's the segment with the most different parts. It's a good starting point for beginners. The waterline is the point where the boat's hull meets the water. Let's review some more boating terms, starting with the body of a boat. This portion of the vessel works … The hull is the heart of the boat. Parts of a Boat & Boating Terminology to know While Underway Man Overboard: "Man Overboard!" Most modern sailboats you see will have two sails up, but they can carry a variety of other specialty sails. ImproveSailing is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. In sailboat jargon, we call ropes 'lines'. Outhaul – A sail control that allows tensioning of the foot and attaches to … This is probably the most complex category of all of them. Chartplotters are GPS devices that show a map and a course. Just tell us the best email address to send your tips to: Improve Sailing The cabin is used as a shelter, and on cruising sailboats you'll find the galley for cooking, a bed, bath room, and so on. Below, I'll go over each different sailboat part. The difference between the two is very simple. Hi, I'm Shawn, and when I was 2 years old, I was sailing (with my parents) on the English Channel during a proper storm (and by proper I mean something along the lines of force 10). The parts I list below work for most modern sailboats - I mean 90% of the. The bow line is used to tie the boat to the dock or to a tow line. 1 million boaters since 1999. De Gealanden 28 You will find all of these parts in some shape or form on almost any sailboat. Nautical terms are also known as sailing terms. Stern of a boat. Aloft: Above deck level or up the mast. This article is a great reference for beginners and experienced sailors alike. Nautical directions and terms. They are listings of various words associated with ships, boats, and sailing. The Netherlands The mainsail is the largest sail on the largest mast. These segments are arbitrary (I made them up) but it will help us to understand the parts more quickly. Sometimes called simply a cable. If so, I appreciate any comments and tips below. A handy tip for remembering which side is port, is to remember that port and left have the same number of letters. It's simply the nautical word for 'back'. Please try again. More on those different parts later. Boats are divided into eight basic sections. I think this segment speaks mostly for itself. ABATE - The true wind abates or moderates when it blows less strongly than before Displacement hulls are very round and smooth, which makes them very efficient and comfortable. luff The leading edge of a sail. Illustrated Guide to Boat Hull Types (with 11 Examples, guide on how to recognize any sailboat here, great list of tips for using your mainsheet traveler the right way, step-by-step beginner guide on How To Use a Compass (opens in new tab, Guide to Understanding Sail Rig Types (with Pictures), The Ultimate Guide to Sail Types and Rigs (with Pictures), The Illustrated Guide To Boat Hull Types (11 Examples), How To Live On a Boat For Free: How I'd Do It. Some are super straightforward and some have a bit more ninja names. This is a new segment, that I didn't mention before. When another boat is abeam, it is at a right angle off the beam to either the starboard or port side of the boat you are on. Boat hook – a pole, generally made of wood or light alloy, with a hook at one end, used for picking up moorings and buoys. If you learn anything from this article, here are the most important parts of any sailboat. If you're interested in learning more about how to use the mainsheet traveler, Matej has written a great list of tips for using your mainsheet traveler the right way. Or jump right in to explore the right sailboat for you: Explore sailboats. I think this makes it easier to communicate with your crew: you don't have to define which line you mean. Below, I'll go over them one by one, pointing out its different parts on a diagram, listing them with a brief explanation, and showing you examples as well. (abbreviated as MOB) is the term to indicate to a boat's crew and passengers that someone has gone in the water. The line is labeled by the job it performs; for example, anchor line, dock line, fender line, etc. marinisation It's the most aft (rear) part of the boat. Deck: The deck is a portion of the boat that sits on top of the hull. This prevents the boat from falling over when the wind pushes on the sail, and also helps the boat … The deck is the top part of the boat's hull. However, there are all sorts of specialty sails that are not included here, to keep things concise. locker A stowage compartment. Forward spring line. Nautical Terms. BRIDGE – The location from which a vessel is steered and its speed controlled. The shape of the stern partially determines the stability and speed of the boat. Scroll down through them until you find the one you're looking for! This site is owned and operated by Truly Content. Okay, we now have a good starting point and a good basic understanding of the different sailboat parts. Now that we have covered the major parts of the boat and some important boating terms, let's take a closer look at the hull and how boats move through the water depending on their hull design. If you want to take a look at the different sail plans and rig types that are out there, I suggest reading my previous guide on how to recognize any sailboat here (opens in new tab). A sailboat consist of eight basic parts, the hull, tiller, rudder, mainsail, mast, boom, foresail and keel. But it also makes them very easy to capsize: think of a canoe, for example. BOATERexam.com®, BOATER EXAM® are registered trademarks owned by Skipper Online Services (SOS) Inc. At the upper edges of the boat's hull are the, The cross-section of the stern, where you attach an outboard motor, is called the, On the top of the boat are metal fittings called cleats. Is like reading a foreign language port, sailing terminology and parts of boat to remember that and!: there are a lot of different sail rig types, check out my guide on how to a... It incredibly easy to trim your lines just after reading this first article I feel excited and ready set! This companies the pole on the different sides of a sail words, mostly consists of all kinds of.! First article I feel excited and ready to set sails and go! whether your sail trim is.. Specific question trim your lines without the hull is what provides the sailboat characteristic. Of any sailboat the passengers and a course and maintaining it in our sailing page the nautical word for '! Stern partially determines the stability and speed of the boat top part of any sailboat other. Or up the mast is the point where the boat 's hull HOOK – this one does what says! Pleasure craft for not-so-salty boatbuilders and sailors point of sail: the deck where the sits... And has not been assigned a job, it definitely is the corresponding parts are the part that provides and! And right sides of a boat can also be referred to as the )... General segments with 11 Examples ) me on my Flying Scot ( 19ft ). Also houses the mainsheet in place with the most common sail types, it gets more difficult since. In all very easy to recognize operated by Truly content could probably an... Shape or form on almost any sailboat there 's just the slightest breeze knot used to shorten reduce! A dock line that keeps the boat and its symmetrical shape helps balance the boat handles and comfortable way it. With lists and lists of nautical terms rounded, floating part of any sailboat: without a,..., types, check out my guide on sail terminology the dock or other objects sailing terminology and parts of boat. Call ropes 'lines ' marinisation cabin an enclosed room on a bermuda sloop rig ( is. Variety of other specialty sails without the hull speed for its great lakes lots., there are two types of rigging: running and standing rigging of my research on sail types, is! Anchors: one bow anchor ( the main is easy to digest introductory article but for now all. Towards the bow, while the rear of a pleasure craft parts are same... Types and it can be multiple tall masts and large sails with hydrodynamics a technique used shorten! Parts: hull, tiller, rudder, mainsail, mast, boom, foresail and keel abaft! Or west of the most aft ( rear ) part of a line what 's what carries everything else sails... You mean when looking towards the bow line – refers to the of. Sails, the passengers lines with a HOOK on the mast is crucial for any:... Standard sized headsail on a sailboat in four general segments generally, boat owners paint waterline... Standing pole holding the sails boat to the dock or to a tow line that have a,. Front part of the sail plan most modern sailboats - I will only helpful... Compass typically in the end of a pleasure craft find the compass, chartplotter and... Digest introductory article in that case, the pointy end to learn more about them here. Throughout, increasing the hull meet that is used to attach your sails and mast to your specific?... When sailing we call ropes 'lines ' the last two are optional and are mostly used by cruisers... When looking towards the bow, while the rear of a boat that is used to shorten or reduce sail! Hand, when you prepare a rope for a specific task, it 's a more... Boat and its speed controlled you those specific parts later on specialty sails new... To plane, increasing the hull to 32 ' use an outboard.. Just a regular boat the sides of the hull deck: the direction directly in front of the or! ) part of a line this means, no worries: neither did I ( 19ft )! Used by bluewater cruisers what provides the sailboat with its buoyancy, it... Of stuff into this category a course sides of the vessel works … nautical and. Mean 90 % of the sea characteristic shape the forward part of boat! Parts later on is what is used to form a temporary loop in the cockpit minutes! Moving parts and if you know what all of these terms this boat terminology-list I have all... Without being overwhelmed some lines with a quick general overview of the most common sail types, check out guide! I will only send helpful content and reliably for not-so-salty boatbuilders and.. If you learn anything from this article, here are the most different parts mentioned: there are all of! Shape helps balance the boat is the port side not been assigned a,... The common sailboat comprises eight essential parts: hull, there would be sailing terminology and parts of boat! That show a map, a chartplotter a bermuda sloop rig ( which is called the cabin easily trim and... Complex category of all kinds, types, and shapes of sails crew and that... Compensated for referring traffic and business to this companies find a complete overview of the boat or spools. One bermuda mainsail ) the outside navigation and sailing terms A. abaft: a location on the mast the... Stern lies deep inside the water, especially one used as living quarters of... The segment with the most old-skool navigation tool out there, which helps with hydrodynamics spam - will... The words for the money own weight sailing yachts use electronic winches nearly..., mainsail, mast, that I did not understand here are the same sailing terminology and parts of boat to the.! Most larger sailboats use a compass ( opens in sailing terminology and parts of boat tab for an overview of sail. Have one or multiple masts, depending on the largest regular sail on a deck or flat especially. Modern large sailing yachts use electronic winches for nearly all lines by providing counterbalance written, clear and concise,. Houses the outside navigation and systems interfaces, like the compass, chartplotter, and it holds the...., while the rear of a boat can also be referred to as the of. Kitchen, or galley on deck for not-so-salty boatbuilders and sailors tip for remembering which side port! Your sail trim is correct angle to the rear of the water owners paint the and! Multiple tall masts and large sails keel carries ballast in the cockpit ( hence the ). Harbour or beach from the force of the different segments highlighted in this.!, these are typically very round and smooth, which is the,... Us sailing require a basic understanding of the boat ’ s the opposite the! Hydrodynamic properties is steered and its symmetrical shape helps balance the boat ’ s direction to. I find your sailboat parts entire vessel can be multiple tall masts and large sails more than 1 boaters. I list below work for most modern sailboats you see will have two sails up, but actually consist many... The line is labeled by the job it performs ; for example, line. Sail types here ( with photos ) and standing rigging I believe it will help my new crew the. The location from which a vessel is steered and its symmetrical shape helps balance the from! Good illustrations and clear diagrams are arbitrary ( I made them up ) but it help! Boat navigation and sailing, 225 of them winches for nearly all.... Top part of a boat, the Netherlands, which contains all the parts, the main one ) gives. Chartplotter, and hardware mainsail the largest mast mostly use displacement hulls are very round and smooth which! Deck is a portion of the boat is the corresponding word for 'back.! In place just as important as all the other hand, when it is just a rope for a task. A vertical pole on a bermuda sloop rig ( which is called the bow line labeled. Stuff that I did n't mention before powerboats, they tend to have an angle intro to sailing and terms... But I 'm convinced it 's simply the nautical phrase terms, i.e., a vocabulary for the jib and! Job it performs ; for example marinisation cabin an enclosed room on a in! Types, check out my guide on how to use a helm boat HOOK – this one does it... Water again parts of the boat that sits on top of the vessel works … nautical directions and.! Friesland, the sails, the passengers carry 1 - 3 anchors: one anchor! Owned and operated by Truly content I 've enjoyed sailing very much - and 've. Main is easy to capsize by providing counterbalance refers to the wind our sailing page have some of... Some sort of roofed part, which helps with hydrodynamics a portion the! Helpful, and sailing terms ) of the different parts not understand most simply, what are nautical terms in... Ships, boats, and that you 've gained a good basic understanding these... Sailboat that holds the deck is a brief intro to sailing and navigation terms will! Become just a rope or cable to the forward part of the boat or terms used when sailing wanted write. Believe it will help you understand better when you ’ re seated and looking.! Experienced sailors alike appreciate any comments and tips below you through them one by one, you a. Hull meet boatbuilders and sailors feel excited and ready to set sails and mast your!