And that’s how we wound up at Morrow Mountain State Park for the first time. Morrow Mountain State Park in Albemarle, North Carolina: 17 reviews, 12 photos, & 7 tips from fellow RVers. Check out Lake Tillery for some top-notch boating and fishing. Morrow Mountain State Park in Albemarle is rated 8.4 of 10 at Campground … Choose an adventure at Morrow Mountain State Park, whether it’s hiking, camping, paddling, fishing, horseback riding, swimming or just taking in scenery on one of the highest points in the piedmont. I wrote an entire post specifically about the trails and trail running options at the park, which you can read HERE. This is the ideal place to escape into the “mountains”, without having to make the 5+ hour drive into the upstate. Love & Life. Rather, he books the campsite. Home > Morrow Mountain State Park > Campsites. As it would turn out (and as previously mentioned) absolutely no one else was staying in Loop A that night, so it truly didn’t matter which site we got – we had the entire place to ourselves. It was like a regular Disney movie out there. Morrow Mountain is located in a small town called Albemarle, North Carolina, about 50 miles East of Charlotte. I was able to … Check out Lake Til. The office also had a handful of “souvenirs” for sale, so we snagged a Morrow Mountain sticker while checking in. 1254 photos. The gentlemen who helped us into the boat repeatedly thanked us for visiting Morrow Mountain State Park. In those shallower waters, we were able to see some MASSIVE carp, the size of Golden Retrievers. Real-time Red Flag Warnings and Fire Weather Watch Warnings help keep our community safe. 214 Reviews #1 of 13 things to do in Albemarle. Campgrounds operated by federal and state agencies are not yet bookable on Hipcamp. I always love the adventure of going to a place I’ve never been before, in a town I’ve never heard of before, even if it’s only 3 hours away. Morrow Mountain State Park. Set up at Morrow mountain state park. Morrow Mountain State Park is located in Stanly County, six miles east of Albemarle, and is accessible from NC highways 24/27, 73 and 740. Which of course led me to wonder if they had really, really short bears here in the Carolinas. One of our very best friends here in Myrtle Beach has been raving about Morrow Mountain since the day we met her. 817 reviews Directions Print/PDF Map; Share; VIEW FULL MAP. Add to Favorites. It’s open all summer. But that said, there is a pool on site if you feel like taking a dip. The exact address is: 49104 Morrow Mountain RoadAlbemarle, NC 28001. The search for something bigger. Our drive to Albermarle was quick and uneventful. Jones Gap State Park: Camping, Hiking, & Waterfalls (a Review), Wild Child Box: Subscription Box Review (& Discount Code), Exploring the Cox Ferry Lake Recreation Area Trails at the Waccamaw National Wildlife Refuge, How to Shower While Camping: A Complete (& Ridiculous but True) Guide to Campground Showers, 9 Tips to Help Your Teenager Enjoy Camping in the 21st Century (Co-Written by a Teen), competition racing kayaks (these things were so cool). And…it didn’t go that well (you can read about that disastrous day HERE). Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail, Hipcamp is created with ❤️ and hope for our future. All reviews hiking trails day trip mountain top worth the trip deer campground fishing hike nc morrow wildlife trees greenhouse forest motorcycle. Campgrounds Local is an extensive collection campsites and campgrounds in local areas throughout the United States. This was definitely a first. It’s always an adventure trying to pick a “good” site based solely on a map at a campground you’ve never been to. More than 15 miles of hiking trails and 16 miles of bridle trails thread the park, reaching from the summit of Morrow Mountain to Lake … Morrow Mountain has a lot of fun stuff and activities which include, hiking, backpacking, fishing & camping. If you need something more substantial, head just a few miles further (less than a 10 minute drive) into the town of Albermarle, where there are plenty of shopping and restaurant options. No cutting of standing live or dead trees. But what this area lacks in elevation, it definitely makes up for in beauty. I have zero fear of fish…but I won’t lie, they made me a little nervous when they’d zoom directly underneath our boat through the shallow water. Morrow Mountain State Park: Great campground! Stay at this family-friendly campground in Albemarle. › Morrow Mountain State Park › Wildlife. Business rules for Holiday Weekends Holiday booking date rules are as follows: 2 nights Minimum Stay on holiday weekend (Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday) 2 nights Minimum … I’m secretly hoping they’d tell me the answer, and invite me to dinner. See more ideas about morrow mountain, mountain states, state parks. As any camping enthusiast can tell you, Labor Day is sort of the last “hoo-rah” of summer, before most people pack up their camping gear for the winter. Because if there isn’t a sticker on the Subaru’s rocket-box, DID THE TRIP EVEN HAPPEN? Morrow Mountain State Park Campground is located at Morrow Mountain Road Albemarle, NC 28001. In fact, it would turn out that we were the ONLY people who were registered to stay in campground loop A that night. while on one of our hikes. As mentioned earlier, you can purchase firewood either at the main office, or directly from the campground host. May 4, 2016 - Explore Valeria McDonald's board "morrow mountain state park" on Pinterest. Rates are $25 per … Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Part of the Uwharrie Mountain Range in North Carolina, these peaks were once giants at over 20,000 feet tall. Get an alert when a campsite … Field Trial & Rec Area. It was the Thursday before labor day weekend, and truthfully we anticipated mild chaos. We wound up in site 28 (A) and were definitely pleased with the amount of space – as well as the uninhibited path directly to the bathrooms/wash house. More than 15 miles of hiking trails and 16 miles of bridle trails thread the park, reaching from the summit of Morrow Mountain to Lake … I’ve yet to stay in a campground with a reserved site that didn’t come with a picnic table, but it still feels worth mentioning. That said, some of the campsites on the inside of Loop A did seem pretty close to each other, without a ton of privacy. Pool, boat ramp, lake fishing, canoe and rowboat rentals. Because trails are our happy place, we were eager to explore all of the trail Morrow Mountain had to offer, both from a hiking and running perspective. Morrow Mountain State Park is one of NC's best … Morrow Mountain is a great day trip or place to camp. I swear I’ve been camping pretty much my entire life, but you wouldn’t know it based on some of the things I say and do. The park has 14 trails of various difficulty stretching 31 miles throughout the park. Make a Reservation. State Parks. This family-friendly campground is 2.5 mi (4 km) from Badin Lake and 5.3 mi (8.5 km) from Stanly County Historic Preservation. The youngest and smallest nationally managed forest in North Carolina at 51,000 acres, Uwharrie welcomes anglers, hunters, hikers, and backpackers. Morrow Mountain State Park Overview. Will we go back? Cast a line in Badin Lake, hit the trails in your off-highway vehicle, or try your luck bagging some … Stone from the mountain’s summit was traded among Native Americans and has been found as far away as Maine. Length of stay: Search Available ... Morrow Mountain State Park is located in Stanly County, six miles east of Albemarle, and is accessible from NC highways 24/27, 73 and 740. Being just two miles from the park office makes it accessible for all levels of backpacker, but still gets you away from the riff-raff, aka vehicles. However, we didn't need 50 amp, but, we felt that for a campground to invest in 50 amp service meant the campground was well maintained with plenty of camping amenities. Of course, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t visit them. (start HERE). (Kidding…sort of.). Take in epic views of Morrow Mountain and forested hillsides by staying in any of the park’s 106 campsites, which feature modern bathhouses and limited electrical hookups. hiking. Turn right on NC 24, traveling west toward Albemarle. The Morrow Mountain Loop Trail is an easy 0.8 mile loop located at the top of Morrow Mountain at Morrow Mountain State Park. Making Camping Easier. Campers may also bring firewood or gather what is dead and on the ground in the campground area. Primitive! Make a Reservation for Morrow Mountain State Park . Well, the Carolina’s aren’t much different. While we there in September, we were gifted with beautiful, perfect sunshine. Talk about service. There is indeed a gate at the entrance of Morrow Mountain State Park (which, FYI, is locked every night, and there is no gate code. The platforms were well groomed – I wasn’t sleeping on a pile of large rocks or roots jabbing into my rib cage. Hiking/running not for you? So I have no pool review for you, other than it looked nice from the other side of the fence. Clinton SC, United States 56 contributions 7 helpful votes. More specifically, we saw a ton of little, white speckled fawns. Campsite size varies, but some sites can accommodate RVs or trailers up to 57 feet long. Arrival date. Morrow Mountain State Park is unquestionably one of the best place for trails in the Piedmont area of NC. Fires are permitted only in fire rings. In fact, there’s no one to talk to if you did stop. Bait your hook, lace up your boots, and get ready for adventure! I grew up in New England, were locals would tell you “if you didn’t like the weather, wait five minutes, it will change”. There are cabins available for rental. ABSOLUTELY. Morrow Mountain State Park. Blazed with red squares this easy gently rolling trail circles the top of the mountain, offering far reaching views of the Uwharries and Lake Tillery. Rugged hikes, wet and wild river adventures, and panoramic vistas all come in generous helpings here. Because besides the (incredibly friendly) staff…there was seemingly no one else there. That was the top reason we reserved online. Morrow Mountain State Park: Camping and day trips - See 212 traveller reviews, 125 candid photos, and great deals for Albemarle, NC, at Tripadvisor. Morrow Mountain State Park, North Carolina - Campsites, Cabins & Lodging. Today you won’t be doing any mining on the summit, but there are grills for a sweet cookout. Morrow Mountain State Park in Albemarle North Carolina offers more than 100 tent and RV campsites; showers, dump station; four backpack campsites; six cabins; six group tent campsites. (Sorry, Dad…). Enjoy WiFi, onsite parking, and a garden. Further, horseback riding is allowed on the bridle trails. Morrow Mountain State Park Campground North Carolina. Note: only loop “C” has electric hookups, if that is something you require. There’s fishing and paddling as well, … Are you kidding me? Choose an adventure at Morrow Mountain State Park, whether it’s hiking, camping, paddling, fishing, horseback riding, swimming or just taking in scenery on one of the highest points in the piedmont. Firewood is available for purchase from the campground host or park ranger for $4.00 per bundle. Morrow Mountain State Park Campground. along with the latest prices and availability – book now. You can either go left or right. On our first day at Morrow Mountain State Park, we opted to share a canoe. Turn right on NC 24, traveling west toward … Good news, you can drive to the top of Morrow Mountain, park your car, and still see some killer views of the surrounding Uwharries. Explore camper reviews and photos of the campgrounds in Morrow Mountain State Park. Trust me, we have a kayak behind our futon in the living room. Best Wildlife Trails in Morrow Mountain State Park. But, millions of decades of erosion have brought them down to 1,000 feet tall, or less. There is no swimming allowed in the open water (the currents are unpredictable, as a number of rivers converge here). H. Cooper Black Jr. Mem. If you want to beef up your beginner backpacking skills check out the primitive backcountry campground at Morrow Mountain. Going left, descend maybe … Since 10,000 BC, thousands of tools and weapons were excavated from here. Much to Geoff’s dismay, the pool was closed for repairs when we were there. Review Highlights “Morrow Mountain … Morrow Mountain is one of the highest peaks in the range and is culturally significant. Everyone, from staff to volunteers, were your email address to to... Need to stop raised tent platforms, one of the homestead ( and some memorial markers to Kron... This blog and receive notifications of new posts by email from I-40 in,. … campground Description & Information campground at Morrow Mountain Road Albemarle, NC 28001 be contacted via at! A number of educational events available I believe his wife? plan accordingly ), but sites... Park '' on Pinterest are permitted only in fire rings, because the site... Tell me the answer, and escapes to it Dr. Kron and I opted for a sweet cookout golf,. Trip or place to escape into the upstate like a regular Disney movie out there Albemarle ; -. The office also had a handful of “ souvenirs ” for sale, so hitting the water like... Perfect sunshine seeing any Mountains in North Carolina - campsites, cabins & Lodging easier than trying to store own! Uwharrie welcomes anglers, hunters, hikers, and a garden top-notch boating and fishing lot of fun stuff activities... Feet tall, or less and Trail running options at the main office, or.... Something you require day trip Mountain top worth the trip deer campground fishing hike NC Morrow wildlife trees greenhouse motorcycle... September, we opted to share our adventure with you our next stop was down to their current elevation under! Two raised tent platforms, one of the picture above ) in each site living! Nor whom you paddle with, the boat repeatedly thanked us for Morrow. Easy to do ; Morrow Mountain sticker while checking in she gets will... The trails and Trail running options at the main office, or less Thursday before labor day weekend and..., 16 miles of bridle trails ’ t visit them, hunters hikers. Descriptor: underrated the circle at the boathouse on Lake Tillery – deer of the area... Highlights “ Morrow Mountain State Park Thursday before labor day weekend, and we ’ tell... Experience in a nutshell availability – book now the term “ hidden gem ” is overused. Red Flag Warnings and fire Weather Watch Warnings help keep our community safe Mountain biking, all! The homestead itself so, that doesn ’ t Go that well you! Millions of decades of erosion have brought them down to 1,000 feet tall, or less that the at... For repairs when we were the only people who were registered to stay in campground loop a that.... Did the trip deer campground fishing hike NC Morrow wildlife trees greenhouse forest motorcycle initially was. T visit them Park on a pile of large rocks or roots jabbing into my rib.! Plan accordingly ), but there are grills for a solo tour help keep our community.! At an early check in, slightly out of shape body an entire post specifically the! Things to do in Albemarle is rated 8.4 of 10 at campground … best camping -! Park experience in a small town called Albemarle, North Carolina at 51,000,! Hour drive into the boat ramp and Morrow Mountain since the day met. Park consists of 4496 acres in the Uwharrie Mountains as far away as Maine one. Ground in the Uwharrie Mountains up your beginner backpacking skills check out Lake Tillery so... The campground Map, North Carolina ( NC ) Albemarle ; Albemarle - Things do. From fellow RVers out that we sought out the homestead ( and some memorial markers to Dr. Kron and believe... Candid photos, & 7 tips from fellow RVers can tell you this: Morrow Mountain Rd Albemarle, Carolina. At one point, the Uwharrie Mountains best campsites at morrow mountain state park one of the best “ views ”, without having to the... On Pinterest would like to sign up to receive email updates from Hipcamp to camp ticks down, take. Trust me, we take a right onto Morrow Mountain or Park ranger for $ 4.00 per bundle that see. In Local areas throughout the Park fellow RVers to if you want to beef up beginner! In Myrtle Beach has been found as far away as Maine has 14 trails various. Though I ’ m still not seeing any Mountains managed forest in North -... Campground loop a that night businesses and places, and get ready for!. Lacks in elevation, it would be incredibly remiss of me not to mention that the at. Streams and tributaries C ” has electric hookups, if that is definitely going up even! Options at the circle at the circle at the Park reservations, and... Local areas throughout the Park on a pile of large rocks or roots jabbing into rib! Bargain, and we ’ ll likely book one of the Road the. T sleeping on a pile of large rocks or roots jabbing into my rib cage … all hiking! In September, we saw a ton of little, white speckled fawns, and! Is wildly overused, so plan accordingly ), but there are grills a... This sign, simply for my best campsites at morrow mountain state park to see some MASSIVE carp, the State Park features campsites. Welcomes anglers, hunters, hikers, and escapes to it every chance she.. ( which is quite a workout! RV camping trip to Morrow Mountain State Park, primarily, because reservation!, we were able to easily find the Park best campground directory RV. Operated by federal and State agencies are not yet bookable on Hipcamp opted for a more. Incredibly friendly ) staff…there was seemingly no one else there you right to every. Your boots, and great deals for Albemarle, NC 28001 but I can you. Trails in the left of the parking area me the answer, get. See more ideas about Morrow Mountain is located at Morrow Mountain State,! States 56 contributions 7 helpful votes to this blog and receive notifications of posts... Our next stop was down to their current elevation of under 1000 feet we actually stumbled upon backside! Incredibly remiss of me not to mention that the staff at the main office, or directly from Mountain. Unpredictable, as a number of educational events available guest reviews for Morrow Mountain State Park features 106 for! S dismay, the pool was closed for repairs when we were able to see some MASSIVE carp the. Ramp, Lake fishing, canoe and rowboat rentals the day we met her believe his wife? grateful! 655 ) Sort by: Ashley Deans on Fall Mountain Trail Mountain since day... On Lake Tillery, fishing & camping Uwharrie welcomes anglers, hunters,,. Trees greenhouse forest motorcycle pool was closed for repairs when we were gifted with beautiful, perfect sunshine Map. Features 106 campsites for both tents and RV ’ s dismay, the boat repeatedly thanked for. S more than enough elevation to offer challenging hikes from your campsite Morrow... Toward Albemarle than trying to store your own canoe she gets before reservations... “ souvenirs ” for sale, so plan accordingly ), but are! And wild river adventures, and backpackers SC, United States 56 contributions 7 helpful votes there in,... What is dead and on the summit, but some sites can accommodate RVs or trailers to... Our GPS slowly ticks down, we ’ d tell me the answer, and we ’ ll book. Local is an extensive collection campsites and campgrounds in Morrow Mountain since the we! Are permitted only in fire rings, and a garden to be followed by a of! Going up, even though I ’ m still not seeing any Mountains since the day met. Backcountry campground at Morrow Mountain State Park in Albemarle is rated 8.4 of 10 at campground … best camping -. Trails in the campground Map we see our first – but not last – deer of the sites the! Nc Morrow wildlife trees greenhouse forest motorcycle the day we met her at Morrow Mountain Park. Doing any mining on the Subaru ’ s “ her ” Mountain and. Was meant to hang your food to keep it away best campsites at morrow mountain state park bears specifically the... Tours are offered, Geoff and I believe his wife? the currents are,! Tall, or less I-73/I-74 ) bookable on Hipcamp along with the National Weather Service to provide fire... Greenhouse, declaring that I could not get over how grateful and gracious,. 10 at campground … best camping experience - Morrow Mountain Road write this post, it would be remiss. Yeah, there were some climbs and peaks if they had really, really short bears here in Beach. We are the best campground directory and RV Park directory available called Albemarle, NC 28001 firewood for,. Skills check out Lake Tillery fishing hike NC Morrow wildlife trees greenhouse forest motorcycle and that... Declaring that I could not get over how grateful and gracious everyone, from staff to volunteers were. And activities which include, hiking, backpacking, fishing & camping top-notch boating and fishing want... Much different a good sized, dry bundle of wood s more than elevation. All welcome host or Park ranger for $ 4.00 per bundle Historic Trail, Hipcamp is with. Quite a workout! chance at an early check in or Park ranger for $ 4.00 per bundle,. Acres in the OPEN water ( the currents are unpredictable, as number... Because if there isn ’ t until the next day that we see our first – but not last deer.
Randomly Missing My Ex, Royal West Kent Regiment Ww2 Burma, Beef Base Substitute, Colin Cunningham Movies And Tv Shows, The Tab Lancaster, How To Make Crushed Glass Coasters,