>> What is the importance of water in baptism and where did this originally come from? I would love my spouse and want the whole world to know it! This is most naturally understood to mean that you are buried under water and then come out of from the water to signify rising from the grave. Why should I consider getting baptized? Baptism does not make you a believer; it shows that you already are one! Show the person that one of the most compelling reasons for water baptism was that in the book of Acts when Christ was preached the people responded by being baptised in water. “ Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus. We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?  We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. For if we have been united with him in a death like His, we will certainly also be united with Him in a resurrection like his." Acts If the baptism does not use water, then it is not believed to be a valid baptism. Water Baptism as Taught in Scripture 6 3. inquires wherein would be the wisdom, or value, of such a consecration to death, (as baptism suggests), if this new theory that the dead did not rise, were true. The use of holy water and its associated rituals is of crucial importance in Christianity. The historical and Biblical record on the purpose of water baptism is remarkably clear and simple. A Public Declaration: Baptism declares that you are a follower of Jesus Christ. First off, water baptism is not a requirement of salvation. The purpose of water baptism is just as clear and consistent in Scripture According to the Christian religion when someone decides to believe in God the next step is to be baptized. Look at what happened at the Baptism of Jesus Christ "And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." 1. The Lord himself affirms that Baptism is necessary for salvation. He wrote: “Baptism is no human plaything but is instituted by God himself. Salvation is by grace through faith in Christ (Ephesians 2:8-9). Let’s say I’m not married right now, but if I put a wedding ring on my finger, would that make me married? The apostles and the early church made sure to keep the commandment of water baptism. “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. Why is baptism important? Water also signifies purification and cleansing. “Those who accepted his message were baptized….” (Acts 2:41) These men and women believed in Jesus Christ and wanted to obey his command. In baptism, we are buried with Him, then raised with Him for a new life. Water baptism is an act of faith and obedience to the commands of Christ. We strongly believe that each and every Christian should be water baptized by immersion. John was widely known for baptizing people in the river Jordan and Jesus Himself was water baptized by John at the beginning of his ministry (Luke 3:21). One just recently passed away and trying to encourage the other one. The use of water in baptism and during the liturgy has a symbolic meaning for Catholics, linking them to the grace and love of God. Not only did they begin a ministry of baptism while Jesus was with them ( John 4:2 ) but they were diligent in calling people to the waters of baptism after his resurrection. Since Jesus left a final command for us to be baptized (as disciples) and to baptize others (to make them disciples), there is nothing stopping us who are not on our death beds from doing the right thing and obeying His wishes for us on this matter. We often get a mental picture of the word baptize to be connected with water and then want to transfer this idea to all references in scripture giving an incorrect understanding which has led some to erroneous teaching. For this reason every Christian who believes in Jesus Christ must be baptized, since Jesus said: “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved” (Mk 16:16). Water baptism is an act of obedience after salvation. However, his circumstances were quite exceptional, and they exist to illustrate that one who truly gives their heart to Jesus on a death bed, will not be kept out of heaven because they failed to be baptized. The practice of water baptism first started with John the Baptist who was a Jewish prophet calling the people to repentance and to prepare the way of the Lord. When you get baptized it is a testimony to God and people that you, by faith, will live a new life as an overcomer. Similarly, I can be baptized in a church, but that doesn’t make me a true believer in Christ. Christ commanded his disciples to preach the Gospel, draw people to faith in him, and baptize those who come to conversion. (Romans 6:1-5) Water baptism is a public declaration of our promise not to continue walking in sin. Standing in the water symbolizes a Jesus dying on the cross, immersing in the water symbolizes Jesus being buried in the tomb and being raised from the water symbolizes Jesus rising from the dead. Baptism demonstrates our love for Jesus, â€œIf you love me, keep my commands." While modern churches often lightly sprinkle baptismal water on infants, the bible speaks of adults making a conscious decision. My spouse and I really did go through the marriage ceremony, but I just didn’t have my ring on my finger. The clearest evidence for this is Romans 6:3–4 which describes the act of baptism as burial and rising from the dead. Water baptism is a practical demonstration of a spiritual reality that has already taken place in your life. … I know of people that have been a Christian for over 40 years and have never had the desire to get water baptized for whatever reason. Sermon Description. As you will see in the verses below, water baptism is also identifying and testifying to the death and resurrection of Jesus.When we are being fully immersed into the water, we are identifying with Jesus’ physical death on the cross and His body going fully into the grave. ", "Crispus, the synagogue leader, and his entire household believed in the Lord; and many of the Corinthians who heard Paul believed and were baptized.". We bury the ‘old life,’ and we rise to walk in a ‘new life’. Why is Baptism in Water important? We are dead in sin before Christ. Not being baptized, does not mean you will not make heaven, the prime example of this is the thief on the cross with Jesus, he was promised paradise even without baptism (Luke 23:39-43).  Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?  We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. Baptism illustrates a believer’s identification with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. John the Baptist was baptizing in water and so when Jesus was baptized, water was used. Imagine that I was married, though. Colossians 2:12 "Having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead." It’s like the wedding ring example. But imagine that I truly was married and I really, really loved my spouse Would I wear my wedding ring? Whether it is shyness, having no church you attend, etc. “… For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body…” (1 Corinthians 12:12-13), As per the example of Jesus – by being immersed in water. In order to understand the purpose of water baptism, we will examine the principal scriptures surrounding it to see why it was established and why even Jesus participated in it. 2. When they came up out of the water….” (Acts 8:38,39), Every person who has made the decision to believe in Christ. In Summary: We continue the practice of water baptism today as a symbol of our personal and public identification and union with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Water baptism is a demonstration of our obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ. It also expresses unity with all the saints ( Ephesians 2:19 ), that is, with every person in every nation on earth who is a member of the Body of Christ ( Galatians 3:27–28 ). 3. This passage establishes water baptism as a commandment from Jesus himself, and it is the principal reason why water baptism remains important for us today. Water baptism is like a ring of identification. 4. Believers in the New Testament were baptized the same day. “As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water.” (Matthew 3:16), Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion under water. A common illustration that demonstrates the purpose of baptism is the wearing of a wedding ring – “with this ring, I thee wed ”. It’s meant to show the world that that you love, trust, and have put your hope in Christ. Water baptism is a symbol to identify with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Com. We would love to help you understand a little bit more about this significant, next step in your journey of following in the footsteps of Jesus. Acts 8:5-13; v12. "But when they believed Philip as he proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women." All rights reserved. Water baptism is a way to visually preach the gospel. In the same way, if I have trusted Christ to save me from sin, and He is the lord and joy of my life, then I’ll want everyone to know about it. There is a deep symbolism to the core of our faith embedded in water baptism, and everyone who engages in it must be first made aware of its purpose and importance in scripture. Similarly, I can be a believer in Christ, but not baptized, and my sins are still paid for and forgiven by God. I honestly cannot find one excuse why you should not be baptized. ( In fact, the Modern Hebrew term for "baptism" is "Christian Tvilah".) True faith in Jesus’ finished work on the cross is sufficient for salvation and doesn’t require any additional “works” by us (Ephesians 2:8-9). (Mark 1) To the Jewish mindset, the religious symbolism of water was very important. Baptism has similarities to Tvilah, a Jewish purification ritual of immersing in water, which is required for, among other things, conversion to Judaism, but which differs in being repeatable, while baptism is to be performed only once. It is the next step after salvation through repentance and faith and is an important foundation for the Christian life. It is a command of God and a public declaration of the work our Lord has already accomplished within us.