I had always thought that you dropped the Lincoln off at night in Brooklyn, but I learned here that it was on Dover Street in Manhattan. All the latest breaking UK and world news with in-depth comment and analysis, pictures and videos from MailOnline and the Daily Mail. But what doesn’t make sense is that if Roy’s Bar was in fact on the south side of Myrtle somewhere between Bushwick and Broadway, then when the camera swings around to show the actors enter the bar, shouldn’t we be able to see the Broadway J/Z elevated tracks in the distance? If anybody knows anything about the history or at least when it was in operation, please, any information would be appreciated. The No. Then again, they might’ve all been torn down decades ago. That building is the Captain Rose House, the third-oldest building in Manhattan and the site of Kit Burns’ Rat Pit, a waterfront dive with an ampitheater for dog and ratbaiting fights. Hey Nick, This is Tony Lo Bianco. In the film’s opening scene, French criminal Alain Charnier (Fernando Rey) leaves the Chez Fonfon restaurant tailed by a detective. Fonfon remains today a Marseille institution, serving up bouillabaisse (the famous local fish stew) in the picturesque harbour of Vallon des Auffes. The film was inspired by the events of the French Connection in the 1970s, starring Jean Dujardin as police magistrate Pierre Michel and Gilles Lellouche as Gaëtan "Tany" Zampa, a drug gang ringleader. I never realized at the time that places like Ratners would someday be gone. The city closed the Middagh Street bridge and put up the barriers and the green space. Here in Franschhoek, with its centuries of French heritage, we present the best ingredients created with French flair. I was somewhat amazed. Get all of Hollywood.com's best Movies lists, news, and more. Note the refurbishment of the adjacent buildings: We get one final passing shot of Cafe Roma on Broome Street, founded in 1891 and still in business, complete with neon sign and painted wall ad: If you enjoyed reading this post, would you consider making a donation to help me make my first movie? A pair of NYC cops in the Narcotics Bureau stumble onto a drug smuggling job with a French connection. Following the Vieux Port, the detective wanders up through the labyrinthine streets that make up France’s oldest quarter ‘Le Panier’. In the film’s opening scene, French criminal Alain Charnier (Fernando Rey) leaves the Chez Fonfon restaurant tailed by a detective. Other than a few abandoned buildings and one homeless guy sleeping in a doorway in one shot, there’s no hint of what it was to become. The Connection (French: La French) is a 2014 French-Belgian action crime thriller film directed by Cédric Jimenez and produced by Alain Goldman. Already have an account? With Timothée Chalamet, Saoirse Ronan, Elisabeth Moss, Léa Seydoux. I agree with you about the custard shop in GCT… but then I thought about how gross it is under ground and would I really want to get some unwrapped prepared food? I think the fire escapes are gone but I can’t remember the historical significance of the buildings or any other details about the post. For example, take a look at the shots on page 4 in front of the Westbury Hotel. The sounds of your lonely footsteps ricochet off the walls in these narrow streets, while from the darkness of each house omit bumps and muffled sounds. Hey Scout, great post Then and Now post as usual. The opening scene in a hospital is the Summit Park Hospital & Nurse Care center in Pomona. One tiny typo I noticed on the final page: “Boca leaves the car on Peck Slip” should say “Boca leaves the car on Dover Street”. Unions strike over job cuts at French coronavirus vaccine maker Sanofi. Cameras were mounted on some specially rigged vehicle and they drove down West 13 Street filming the car through the vantage point of the park being in between. Tape distributor: Fox Video Original / reprint: Reprint [first released by Magnetic Video in 1977] Date of printing: None The list of previews: 1. You see someone cute across the room that you'd like to talk to, maybe get to know a little bit better, but don't know what to say to them. I haven’t been able to find anything more on the bakery itself or what company operated it. I’m astounded at your accurate and jaw-droppingly detailed work. Arab League urges Joe Biden to ditch Donald Trump’s Palestine policies. Shop French Connection and Choose from the Latest Seasonal Styles of Women's and Mens Clothing and Fashion Accessories | FCUK FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS OVER $50* Search It closed in 2004. I wonder how that shot today would look on tungsten film shot in the late fall afternoon of a cloudy day. An overheight tractor-trailer on the BQE hit the overpass with such force that it was impractical to restore the bridge to a spec that would support traffic. Keep up the great work. I’d say the big difference is the almost utter lack of anything corporate. The construction boom which came later, in the 1980s, changed the look of the city significantly. It's characteristic objects, settings, and stars. This is so good. What constitutes “a strangely placed entrance”? It was near the corner of Myrtle and Broadway. Get free homework help on William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet: play summary, scene summary and analysis and original text, quotes, essays, character analysis, and filmography courtesy of CliffsNotes. The opening sequence sets the pace through an exquisite eight-minute shot, swooning back and forth across a drinking game in the ‘flower house’, a candle-lit, golden-hued 19th-century brothel. Does anyone recognize this street? By Sven Mikulec. Bravo! It’s definitely a very different city, but it’s not a gritty city. Nowadays both cities are for the most part very different places. Thankfully, nowadays the neighbourhood is safe and very gentrified – the ‘Montmartre’ of Marseille. The Beast’s new castle combines architectural styles, but the majority of it is French Rococo, a style prevalent in 1740s France, which is found, for instance, at the Palace of Versailles. In the movie it looks like one straight street but it’s actually a corner. As the detectives wait for the Bocas to leave, we get a nice shot of the Williamsburg Bridge further down – note the changes made in its late 1990s redesign: Finishing their breakfast, the Bocas take off, with Popeye and Cloudy in tow. This address is actually on the north side of the Myrtle Avenue/Broadway junction, where trains no longer run. I believe it was on Wards Island. This was a delight…what a great, fun piece of scholarship! Also hate that there are no more car piles under the Brooklyn Bridge. Image courtesy of Netflix and Google Maps. What a gyp! It starts when Popeye loses control of the car and slams sideways into a fence after avoiding a truck. Setting the scene and opening the play Inspector Goole arrives at the Birling home Before the play begins, Priestley gives detailed instructions on how the play should be staged. The former brothels play host to artists’ workshops and galleries, soap shops and the hidden but spectacular Vieille Charité Museum. Made between The Godfather (1972) and The Godfather Part II (1974), and in part a homage to Michelangelo Antonioni's art-movie classic Blow-Up (1966), The Conversation was a … Then it hit me: The scene where a sniper is shooting from the roof of an apartment building had to have been filmed there! Indeed, French Connection has probably done more to solidify an unsavoury reputation of Marseille than any other film – a reputation both deserved and unjust. Sonny Grosso said on at least a couple of occasions where the Santa Claus interrogation scene was filmed. First, we cruise down Grand Street, passing the Alleva dairy, founded in 1892, and the Piemonte Ravioli Co., founded in 1920. Beautifully done Untapped New York unearths New York City’s secrets and hidden gems. The ad for a $1.59 steak was the actual name of the restaurant. Rob: The shot of the two elephants is at Franklin Field, on UPenn... Curtis Davis: Nick, It's been five long years but you're back! Exceptional research and creativity, Nick! For the subway station, you might also try the F line stretch running down McDonald Avenue. I thought the el station where Popeye shot the assassin looked familiar. We've created a list of 29 great funny opening lines for online dating for you to use the next time someone catches your interest. Nobody I’ve talked to can seem to remember the name of the club. As Popeye, dressed in a Santa suit, entertains the local kids outside, Cloudy chases a suspect out of the bar. The French and Indian War raged on elsewhere in North America for several years. Unless I am misunderstanding where the bar was. The film is an adaptation of the 1959 stage musical of the same name , composed by Richard Rodgers with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II . Yes I want to be the first to know about exclusive offers, collection previews and the latest style news from French Connection via email. It’s funny, James, but the corridor between Broadway in Bed-Stuy and 58th Road in Maspeth is where much of THE FRENCH CONNECTION was filmed. Yep. It’s on solid ground, though the expressway may well be tunneled under it. 434k members in the Moviesinthemaking community. My parents haven’t been to NYC since the 70’s and I’m fairly sure it’s because they remember it exactly like this and they’re a bit scared. The gritty New York City?”. New York seems unrelentingly cold, grey and run down whilst Marseille is a murky port of narrow alleys and criminal overlords. The setting for "A Streetcar Named Desire" is a modest, two-room flat in New Orleans.This simple set is viewed by the various characters in sharply contrasting ways—ways that directly reflect the dynamics of the characters. Yes No. I remember that theater fondly, my father took the family to the movies on weekends. I was sure there was a post about the three buildings awhile back on Curbed but I can’t find it. Directed by William Friedkin. (in the film “The Chez”). Learn exactly what happened in this chapter, scene, or section of A Streetcar Named Desire and what it means. One of the first things that come to mind when The French Connection is discussed is the famous car chase scene, the breathtaking endeavor of Gene Hackman trying to catch an elevated train with his Pontiac. The Harry Potter film series wasn’t safe from controversies, and one of the weirdest ones was all about a “nude scene” in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1, with parents complaining about it even before they knew what it was all about. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window). After a brief opening scene in Marseille (soon to be covered by sister site Scouting France), the action moves to Brooklyn, where we meet our hero, Jimmy “Popeye” Doyle, in front of the Oasis Bar & Grill. Also a lot of scenes were filmed in Suffern. where did they stake out the Lincoln at night? French food is all about flavour, decades of tradition, superb ingredients and skilled preparation. Although it’s called “the Chez” in the film, it’s real name was something else. You do great work! Perhaps most shockingly, that high-speed chase — in a crowded borough, in the middle of the day under a Brooklyn subway track — was filmed with few safety precautions taken to protect cast, crew, or the many people who happened to be in the car’s … … Later while getting drinks at the Copacabana, Popeye and Cloudy notice something unusual: a young couple, the Bocas, dining with noted mob figures. Directed by (1) Writing credits (2) Cast (41) Produced by (3) Music by (1) Cinematography by (1) Film Editing by (1) Casting By (1) Art Direction by (1) Set Decoration by (1) Costume Design by (1) Makeup Department (1) Production Management (1) My recollection is it’s either 112th or 114th St. between 2nd and 3rd Avenues. And hey, if you've made it this far, why not follow us via RSS, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Tumblr? Incredible job! After a brief opening scene in Marseille (soon to be covered by sister site Scouting France), the action moves to Brooklyn, where we meet our hero, Jimmy “Popeye” Doyle, in front of the Oasis Bar & Grill. Like New York, it is a large port. Exclusive Interview – The Climb filmmakers on that unforgettable opening scene, praise from Tom Hanks, one-takes and more January 19, 2021 … Shot at 914 Broadway on the Bushwick/Bed-Stuy border, the bar today is a Chinese Restaurant called China City: But the beginning of some of the chase was in Bensonhurst so I think a number of neighborhoods can claim a piece of that famous chase. Not to mention the architecture! You can read more about it here if you want – http://fortamsterdam.blog.com/2014/04/17/kit-burns-rat-pit-at-273-water-street/. Popeye and Cloudy drag the suspect to a vacant lot, and through movie magic, suddenly wind up in in East Harlem. It then was used by trolleys until they were removed in 1948, and is now under consideration by the MTA as a off street busway. Great, great series. What an amazing post!! This blog link has French Connection location info http://www.the-movie-portal.com/the-french-connection-1971/ Seems to say the East Harlem location is an empty lot by 114th St and Pleasant (but i couldn’t find the buildings) and Roy’s Bar by the El is possibly by Myrtle Station (Myrtle and Broadway), since demolished. OK, consulted a 1970 Brooklyn telephone directory at the Public Library. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Silk or Sugar: a Novel (French Connection Book 1) at Amazon.com. I’m pretty sure it was Frank J. Sciame, who bought the charred hulk of 273 Water Street for a dollar and refurbished it into luxury apartments. A behind-the-scenes look at the wonderful world of movies This was originally the Loew’s Broadway, built in 1904 with seating for 2,000. I always wondered how many people in the crew knew that French Connection had filmed on the same location. I suspect this was the building with the ovens where Gene and Roy search for Frog 1 and end up shooting Muldrig.