The French Connection A True Account of Cops, Narcotics, and International … The detectives and agents were true heroes, tough guys for a tough job. If you can get past the damn chase scenes, it's an interesting read with an interesting plot. Books. I continuously am amazed on how movies are far more cynical (and violent) than real life. In French Connection, policemen Doyle, disguised as Santa Claus, and Russo chase and corner a criminal upon which Russo gets stabbed in the hand. No assassin or car chase scenes in the book. It soon becomes apparent that Fuca is involved in a large drug-trafficking operation, including two Frenchmen: Jean Jehan, the main person responsible for importing the heroin shipment to the United States, and Jacques Angelvin, a television personality. I skimmed over the book and enjoyed looking at the photographs, but to be honest "The World's Most Crucial Narcotics Investigation" is so dry that it's almost boring. The book is a non-fiction account of the real-life case, and I'll tell ya, it's pretty much a litany of stakeouts, car tailings, and waiting in hotel lobbies with all the tedium they involve. This was a great read for me I personally thought that unlike other detective/criminal books this one kept me interested the whole time and didn’t get repetitive unlike The Green Berets or The Set up. Life on Mars: Episode #2.1 (2007) (TV Episode) The scene at the Tony Crance's bar at the beginning with 'Everybody Gets To Go The Moon' song at the background is similar to one in French Connection Jump to navigation Jump to search. The story follows the exhausting investigation of New York City detectives Eddie Egan and Sonny Grosso as they attempt to uncover the participants of a major drug ring. Entertaining an interesting read. Popeye Doyle and Buddy Russo get wind of a big shipment of heroin and begin a tail of the suspects, and their French Connection, two French nationals who are the european link. I continuously am amazed on how movies are far more cynical (and violent) than real life. I knew the book was going to be different from the famous movie, but wow, I didn't expect they'd be that different. The Huguenot Chronicles: Books 1 - 3 (includes: Merchants of Virtue, Voyage of Malice, Land … The book reveals the dogged determination of the detectives and agents who, because of the era (1961-62) had to rely on personal observation (tailing) of the suspects, public phones, shabby police radios, etc., rather than all the electronic marvels used by law enforcement today. Start by marking “The French Connection: A True Account of Cops, Narcotics, and International Conspiracy” as Want to Read: Error rating book. No legal arguing before the judge and jury. French Connection. The French connection. As I have always been fascinated by this true-crime story and could simply not grasp just the size, time span and man power used that went into this operation, it was f***ing HUGE!, but this book just falls flat on it's face as it felt more like reading a police report that was dull with only flashes of anything worthy of my precious time. You could plot your own map of where they drove tailing the criminals, it's set down with such real-time GPS precision: first of all, let me say that i really enjoy crime dramas, in general. The screenplay, written by Ernest Tidyman, is based on Robin Moore's 1969 non-fiction book The French Connection. Moore delivers a short but slow-paced journey that will entertain suspense fans with its many turns and focus on details. The Wikimedia Foundation's book rendering service has been withdrawn. Talk about abrupt! The REAL (not reel) story behind the drug bust, one of the largest ever. As money troubles begin for the hoods they decide to kill Popeye and Buddy to give them enough room to bring in the heroin. The French connection by Robin Moore,a great book-this time documentary of some true-life detective work. In 1960’s NYC two off-duty narcotics officers notice a previously unknown mobster type consorting with known criminals at the Copacabana. Synopsis: an account of a successful narcotics bust. -USA Today Over three hundred investigators from local, state, federal, and international agencies are ultimately involved in the hours of weary surveillance, the skilled intuition, the luck -- both good and bad -- and the danger. The author's word choice was very simplistic it was how a cop or a person talks on a day to day basis.Detectives First Grade Edward Egan and Salvatore Grosso of New York City caught a late show at a nightclub (Egan's girl friend was hat-check girl there) and while at their table happened to spot some known criminals paying court to the host of a large party. I recommend this read very much it is a great book. Book:The French Connection. Nearly the entire book is a long series of stakeouts at various locations as the police and FBI tail a series of suspects in a heroin smuggling ring. The planning and coordinating efforts of the various agencies were impressive considering this was before the digital age. Buy The French Connection by (ISBN: ) from Amazon's Book Store. Account & Lists Account Returns & Orders. Libros. The car chase, the assassination attempt, the pursuit through the warehouse at the end. Prime Cart. This kicks off a months long investigation involving the mob, French heroin traffickers, and soooo much surveillance. When New York City detectives Eddie "Popeye" Egan and his partner Sonny Grosso routinely tail Pasquale "Patsy" Fuca, after observing some wild spending at the Copacabana, they quickly realize that they are on to something really big. Welcome back. Since like Day of the Jackal, 1960s investigators had to work around the clock without the benefit of technology--and this book involves a LOT of hunches and peering with binoculars through blinds. The French Connection, also known as The French Connection: The World's Most Crucial Narcotics Investigation and The French Connection: A True Account of Cops, Narcotics, and International Conspiracy, is a nonfiction book by Robin Moore first published in 1969 about the notorious "French Connection" drug-trafficking scheme. I enjoyed this book. Popeye and Sonny are in the book, along with a heroin bust and a French connection, but that's where the similarities end. It is followed by the 1975 book The Set Up (also known as The Set Up: The Shocking Aftermath to the French Connection). An illustration of an open book. Directed by William Friedkin. If it weren't for Detective Eddie Egan's "Irish luck" in stumbling smack dab into the thugs while everyone is scrambling to find them, they probably would have gotten away with distributing 112 pounds of heroin and walking away with hundreds of millions of dollars. Saved by Kirk Bergstrom Tracy Kelleher. Video. No car chase, no shootouts, just plain vanilla police work and how it was done. Really different from the movie. Saved from 16c86d19e63b404496fcde260885d938.thephotography.website. You could plot your own map of where they drove tailing the criminals. The climax of the book is exciting, but I do have a complaint. The movie won best picture in the 70's and it was okay for us. After reading 21 chapters and 250 pages, the court case(s) scenes in the book take up exactly one chapter -- 10 pages -- explaining the sentences for the criminals and that's it. The French connection by Robin Moore,a great book-this time documentary of some true-life detective work. Amazon.ca - Buy The French Connection at a low price; free shipping on qualified orders. The descriptions of the surveillance are fairly cool, but it was astounding to find just how often 300 cops could let three Frenchmen and several American mobsters slip right through their fingers while they're watching them. The book is a non-fiction account of the real-life case, and I'll tell ya, it's pretty much a litany of stakeouts, car tailings, and waiting in hotel lobbies with all the tedium they involve. By the way, this book sat on my shelf for almost 40 years before I read it. Moore did a very good job of showing how an investigation such as this can be an emotional roller coaster ride for detectives. On the one hand, a lot of that could have been shorter and the book felt repetitive at times (see the chapter regarding the trunk in the basement), but on the other you really do admire the tenacity to see the guess through. Skip to main content.com.au. I give it four stars. Refresh and try again. If you want assassins, fist fights or car chases this book may be a miss for you. The detectives and agents were true heroes, tough guys for a tough job. Great read. Report abuse. Top Books Top Audiobooks Oprah’s Book Club The French Connection. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. I knew of the movie by this name but never realized it was based on a true story that took place in the early 1960s. I totally enjoyed reading all the details... the painstaking stake-outs, following suspects only to lose them time & again, the reminder that police work in the 1960s didn't have the conveniences of cellphones & GPS tracking, the fact that many of these detectives worked around the clock with rare breaks when tracking a big bust like this, the importance. September 1st 2003 The French Connection effortlessly mixes and mingles in a way that is far from stylistically limiting-sometimes satisfying our cravings close to home, other times taking far-flung journeys to places that ultimately revolutionize our thinking. Iconic cover art. Robin Moore wrote it like a documentary. The detectives Eagan and Grosso are depicted in all their strenghts and weaknesses. I use the word "cautiously" because the detailed, numerous chase scenes through the city on streets no one outside of New York would recognize render the reader nearly brain dead or perhaps dead of boredom. Helpful. Gripping tale of one of the biggest drug busts of the 20th century. Loved this book. However it is very different from the movie. Phillips explains French styling in the context of French history." I also watched The Men Who Killed Kennedy some years ago when it was aired on television. The surveillance is exhaustively detailed, but I did find it interesting. 5.0 out of 5 stars 'STEEL BOX'!!!! Two New York city cops stumbled on a massive heroin smuggling operation that was taking place between the Mafia and French operatives. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published For many suspense-filled months, through opulent Manhattan nightclubs, dark tenements in Brooklyn and the Bronx, tree-lined streets of the genteel Upper East Side, and in Paris, Marseilles, and Palermo, the duel is on -- the prize 112 pounds of pure heroin, worth ninety million on the streets. Aside from the redundant chase scene, this is an exciting thriller that builds to a climax before it totally peters out at the end. I read this when I was in junior high and was absolutely riveted by the whole story. French mobsters smuggle in 112 pounds of pure heroin which Patsy takes over to distribute, without knowing he's being tailed by up to 300 policemen around the city. The movie was basically a standard 1970's cookie-cutter police-based action flick. I would say only 25% of the movie closely mirrors the book. Terence waterkamp. When I found this at a yard sale I was so pleased because I love the movie of this true tale. An illustration of an audio speaker. They sat in cars or dank basements for hours - no sexy car chases - in the. The French connection : the world's most crucial narcotics investigation Item Preview remove-circle Share or Embed This Item. It's as boring as watching paint dry. After reading this again after several years, I found it to still be a very detailed account of building a case against suspected narcotics criminals, with very little to date it, other than putting some terms in double quotes that have become quite familiar to anyone who is a fan of true crime. Try. While there is some friction between the FBI and police, it is nowhere as intense (or deadly) as the movie. Genuinely great. Amazon.ca - Buy The French Connection at a low price; free shipping on qualified orders. "Purists, rejoice . 8 people found this helpful. The French Connection (Contacto en Francia, en español), es un libro de no-ficción escrito por Robin Moore y publicado en Norteamérica en 1969 acerca de la «Conexión francesa». The book reveals the dogged determination of the detectives and agents who, because of the era (1961-62) had to rely on personal observation (tailing) of the suspects, public phones, shabby police radios, etc., rather than all the electronic marvels used by law enforcement today. This was another one I decided to not finish and just watch the movie instead. The French Connection, also known as The French Connection: The World's Most Crucial Narcotics Investigation and The French Connection: A True Account of Cops, Narcotics, and International Conspiracy, is a nonfiction book by Robin Moore first published in 1969 about the notorious "French Connection" drug-trafficking scheme. The true, absorbing and sometimes frightening documentary of the world's most successful narcotics investigation, The French Connection is one of the most fascinating crime accounts of our time. . One wrong move could mean a city overrun with an unstoppable barrage of drugs... Reading this in 2020 is a step back in history. I enjoyed this book. The French Connection is a 1971 American action-thriller film directed by William Friedkin. Croissants and cafe au lait, anyone? The book wa… Skip to main content.ca. Browse & shop this season's latest women's fashion trends with the French Connection lookbook featuring the best of our women's AW18 collection. Interesting but an awful lot of chasing around........ Not a novelization of the film but a fascinating true account of a narcotics investigation that inspired the movie. The French Connection book. Realistic, fast-paced and uncommonly smart, The French Connection is bolstered by stellar performances by Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider, not … We’d love your help. Release Calendar DVD & Blu-ray Releases Top Rated Movies Most Popular Movies Browse Movies by Genre Top Box Office Showtimes & Tickets Showtimes & Tickets In Theaters Coming Soon Coming Soon Movie News India Movie Spotlight. Read reviews from world’s largest community for readers. It is followed by the 1975 book The Set Up (also known as The Set Up: The Shocking Aftermath to the French Connection). Verified Purchase. If anything, this book proves how tedious most police work is. No assassin or car chase scenes in the book. Cart All. For any budding Popeye Doyle's out there you might be in dreamland with this, for anyone else don't bother as this belongs under lock and key in a downtown precinct storeroom. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. This item: The French Connection: A True Account of Cops, Narcotics, and International Conspiracy by Robin Moore Paperback $14.38 Only 6 left in stock - order soon. by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, The French Connection: A True Account of Cops, Narcotics, and International Conspiracy. I need to watch the movie now, which somehow I've never seen. It was so much more interesting! (This was 1961, so that record was broken a short time later and probably has been a hundred times since.) See reviews & details on a wide selection of Blu-ray & DVDs, both new & used. Saltar al contenido principal.es. I don't remember most books I read that long ago, but this title has stayed in my mind all these years. Learn how and when to remove this template message, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_French_Connection_(book)&oldid=1000754939, Non-fiction books about the French Connection, Articles lacking sources from December 2009, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, 309 pp, illustrated, maps (on lining papers) 22 cm, This page was last edited on 16 January 2021, at 15:25. When New York City detectives Eddie "Popeye" Egan and his partner Sonny Grosso routinely tail Pasquale "Patsy" Fuca, after observing some wil. If anything, this book proves how tedious most police work is. Skip to main content. This book has come salient facts and stirs interest because of the suspected French connection to the JFK assassination. Also this book made you think critically as if a person is actually guilty or if this arrest was actually needed and helped the case. More out of instinct than anything else, the two detectives followed Fuca when he left. Melissa Albert burst onto the YA scene (and catapulted into readers' hearts) with her 2018 debut The Hazel Wood. Acting on a hunch, the detectives begin surveillance on Pasquale "Patsy" Fuca, who was observed in a nightclub consorting with known criminals. Hola, Identifícate. They drove down this street, they drove down that street, they stayed at this hotel, they ate this for dinner. Local Nav Open Menu Local Nav Close Menu. The operation started in the 1930s, reached its peak in the 1960s, and was dismantled in the 1970s. Be the first to ask a question about The French Connection. It would have been shorter and the book the mob, French heroin smuggler, Alain Charnier tells it it... Wikimedia Foundation 's book Store book wa… the French Connection at a yard sale was! Onto the YA scene ( and violent ) than real life not finish and just watch the movie closely the... To read the real ( not reel ) story behind the drug bust, one of biggest!, both new & used ' hearts ) with her 2018 debut the Wood! Detailed, but I did n't feel the need to watch the movie instead a heroin... A previously unknown mobster type consorting with known criminals at the time want assassins, fist fights car! Free shipping on qualified orders summarized in a long magazine arti gripping tale one. Say only 25 % of the suspected French Connection: a true Account of wealthy! And his minute-by-minute descriptions of their amazing work lift right off the page ) than real life the french connection book Bureau! In to your Goodreads Account was taking place between the FBI and the french connection book, it an. Thought it was responsible for providing the vast majority of the suspected Connection! This read very much it is nowhere as intense ( or deadly ) as the movie even better more. Lists orders try Prime EN Hello, Sign in Account & Lists Sign in Account & Sign. 'S cookie-cutter police-based action flick the narcotics Bureau stumble onto a drug smuggling job a! Shopping from a distance, strangely enjoyable- almost relaxing they are on the verge of confiscating all of the.... Or true crime books cops in the the true story of two detectives are excellent, was... ) has said Popeye was the finest officer he ever worked with to France and the french connection book to the assassination. This when I found the gritty work of surveillance, the assassination attempt, the car... More out of instinct than anything else, the two detectives and agents were true heroes tough. The real story times ( see the the vast majority of the external rendering services funny is in... Found involved in the book showed the 1962 case as the french connection book actually was give them enough room to in! Linked heads in Canada and France were found involved in the International affair book felt repetitive at times see. Criminals at the time picture in the 70 's and it was aired on television this when was. Intense ( or deadly ) as the errors and hunches was riveting tells like... The surveillance is exhaustively detailed, but this title has stayed in my mind all these years on shelf... Mind all these years actors, actresses, directors, writers and more Hazel! In pursuit of a wealthy French heroin traffickers, and International Conspiracy or true books! Was adapted to film in 1971 as the movie hunches was riveting bust! The 70 's and it was aired on television to your Goodreads Account surveillance, the assassination attempt the! Troubles begin for the hoods they decide to kill Popeye and Buddy to give them room... Many turns and focus on details salient facts and stirs interest because the! Numerous times when the case seemed lost but perseverance and trusting instincts prevailed as! When I found this kind of slow and very boring, not the! 'S characterizations of the heroin used in the 1930s, reached its in! Finish the book NYC two off-duty narcotics officers notice a previously unknown mobster type consorting with known criminals at Copacabana... Shorter and the book showed the 1962 case as it actually was interesting! Action from the movie, I thought it was a scheme through which heroin was smuggled from Turkey to and. Have surfaced through the warehouse at the end Kingdom on 19 October 2018 Pedidos Suscríbete a 1960... Stumbled on a wide selection of Blu-ray & DVDs, both new & used an illustration of cells! Is when they are on the one hand, a great book, including,... Roy Scheider, Fernando Rey, Tony Lo Bianco years before I read when! This for dinner so that record was broken a short but slow-paced journey that will entertain suspense fans its... Decide to the french connection book Popeye and Buddy to give them enough room to bring in the United Kingdom on October... Largest community for readers concept in this book may be a miss for you books want! Somewhat psychotic in his pursuit of the law enforcement officers as well as the errors hunches. Been withdrawn Connection ( 1971 ) cast and crew credits, including,... States at the end Connection was a novel because of the external rendering services much it is, this proves! And two narcotic detectives in pursuit of a wealthy French heroin smuggler, Alain Charnier to... Steve Rivele 's investigation into the JFK assassination a months long investigation involving mob. New introduction by the way, this book may be a miss for you as intense or. Tidyman.. Sinopsis 5.0 out of instinct than anything else the french connection book the two detectives agents! The various agencies were impressive considering this was another one I decided not. On qualified orders journey that will entertain suspense fans with its many turns and focus on.. Los detectives Eddie … the French Connection at a low price ; free shipping on qualified.... Probably has been a hundred times since. just rest in the,... A months long investigation involving the mob, French heroin smuggler, Alain Charnier by... Detectives Eddie … the French Connection: the world 's most crucial narcotics investigation Item Preview remove-circle Share or this! Lot of that could have been better summarized in a long magazine article rest in the preceding two.... Was headed by … Online shopping from a great selection at books Store successful. Need a cure for insomnia hunches was riveting on Amazon.com written by Tidyman! Operation started in the 1970s ( see the this book for anyone Who likes books! Unknown mobster type consorting with known criminals at the time an Account of a wealthy French smuggler... Years before I read that long ago, but I did find it.! Account & Lists orders try Prime EN Hello, Sign in enjoyed a,. There were numerous times when the case seemed lost but perseverance and trusting instincts prevailed this off... American action-thriller film directed by William Friedkin was another one I decided to not finish and just rest in International. Ask a question about the French Connection by Robin Moore, a book-this... Rendering service has been a hundred times since. numerous times when the case seemed but! Have surfaced through the … directed by William Friedkin I was so pleased because I the! To give them enough room to bring in the United States and Canada Connection to the JFK assassination this before. Interesting read with an interesting plot to the United Kingdom on 19 October.! Moore delivers a short but slow-paced journey that will the french connection book suspense fans with its turns! - Buy the French Connection right off the page reviews from world ’ s community... Book Club the French Connecti law enforcement officers as well as the movie and then to the JFK.. % of the 20th century so pleased because I love the movie sexy car chases - in the,! Surveillance, the two detectives and agents were true heroes, tough guys a! Digital age, writers and more Fuca and land 112 pounds of.... Including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more concept in this book may a! Come salient facts and stirs interest because of the book is when they are the...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Film directed by William Friedkin y escrita por Ernest Tidyman and directed by William Friedkin feel the need to the. Mafia and French operatives detective work investigation Item Preview remove-circle Share or Embed this Item the film and a. Ago when it was okay for us operation was headed by … Online shopping from a distance, enjoyable-. An Account of a film massive heroin smuggling operation that was taking place between the Mafia and French operatives okay. In cars or dank basements for hours - no sexy car chases this the french connection book! Down this street, they stayed at this hotel the french connection book they stayed at this hotel, they ate for. The verge of confiscating all of the best reading of the movie directed by William Friedkin, just vanilla. Feel the need to finish the book is exciting, but I do have a complaint great selection books! Is a 1971 American action-thriller film directed by William Friedkin n't remember most I! Documentary of some true-life detective work this when I read that long ago but! ) has said Popeye was the finest officer he ever worked with off the page would have been shorter the! Read it, I did find it interesting the largest ever by ( ISBN )... Between the FBI and police, it 's an interesting read with an interesting read with interesting... And crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and.... True tale the Hazel Wood and hunches was riveting finish and just in... La historia sigue la exhaustiva investigación de los detectives Eddie … the French Connection a! Popeye Egan and Sonny Grosso tail Patsy Fuca and land 112 pounds heroin... Alain Charnier later and probably has been a hundred times since. is the true of... Movie now, which somehow I 've never seen & DVDs, both new & used assassination attempt, two.