I found this Oven Venison Jerky recipe on Youtube and thought it looked super easy and the ingredients are condiments everyone has in their kitchen anyway so I was ready to try this recipe the moment I saw it. Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/212396/sweet-and-spicy-venison-jerky You need to let the meat marinade for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours. If your meat is not already sliced, slice it as thinly as you can. Baste the venison once an hour, using the time to turn the meat over. Sounds like that jerky he made was just about perfect! Cherry is a favorite for big game smoking. When my family moved to Wyoming, instead of New England venison, elk would now be on the menu. Prepare to Smoke Your Venison. We usually take some of the venison we harvest and turn it into jerky each fall. The next morning I get the ingredients ready for the magical 24 hr soak. I also consolidate the meat into fewer trays as it dries because it shrinks. One thing no one is mentioning is the fact the worst cuts of meat make the best jerky (why waste good back strap or hind quarters} also cut it in stripes WITH the grain. I usually smoke it for about an hour and then bring it in and put it into the dehydrator. You’ll be glad you did. Every once in a while take it out and turn the meat so that it all gets marinated evenly. Deer (Venison) Jerky. We gladly accept: Welcome….we are delighted to have you visit Venison … The easiest way to get even coverage on the pieces is to mix the dry spices in a mason jar and shake. Required fields are marked *, Some posts on this website contain affiliate links that allow me to earn a small fee. After a few hours I usually turn it over. In a large, non-reactive bowl combine organic soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, maple syrup, black pepper and apple cider vinegar using a whisk. Jerky & Snacks: Sausage: WILD Gift Boxes: Shipping Schedules: Vension World Hwy 83 at Hwy 87 Eden, Texas 76837 1-800-460-LEAN(5326) 325-869-5220 Fax 325-869-7220 HOURS: Monday - Saturday 9:00 am - 7:00 pm Sunday 11:00 am - 7:00 pm Featured Item: Choose your exotic "grab and go" favorites for summer! To make this easier, partially freeze the meat for about an hour and a half first. The object of making jerky is simply to remove the moisture from the meat. I usually have a whole one that is reserved just for jerky and sausage making. Recipe by tshull777. The jerky has enough salt in it from the soy sauce to keep well in an airtight container for a few weeks. December 20, 2013. If you didn't use the liquid smoke and you want to put it in the smoker here's what I do. You can slice a batch into all three if you want. , Filed Under: Food, Dehydrating, Fall, Food Storage & Preservation, Seasonal Recipes ~ Winter, Snacks, Snacks, Alton Brown’s Jerky is pretty good too! Hope this brine works well for you. Half of the boys prefer a spicier flavor but the others like it a bit sweet and bland. Sugar, By Any Other Name, Would Taste As Sweet…, Altitude Adjustment Charts for Home Canning, The Ultimate Guide to Home Canning Essentials, (unless you're going to put it in the smoker which I like to do). The last several years, that has been about 70 pounds of venison sliced for jerky and ground for burger each year. Had to really tear at it with my teeth or use a knife to cut a piece. After it’s sliced let the meat thaw completely. ", Peppermint Carob Pecan Cookies ~ A New Family Favorite, Rhubarb Crumble ~ A Tangy, Sweet Surprise, Rich & Creamy Made from Scratch “Healthy” Chocolate Pudding, « How to Make Your Own Way-Better-Than-Canned Pumpkin Puree, Homemade Cherry Pie Filling ~ A Canning Recipe », Make Your Own Elderberry Syrup for Colds and Flu. Can’t wait to try this recipe. Then sprinkle a liberal amount of the lemon pepper all over it. But smoking meats is a tradition I’m glad we have… just like our ancestors. I like how long it takes to enjoy and to be able to savor the flavor. Loved the way it used to swell up as it was chewed. Pork Loin Jerky (Step by Step with Pics) I saw this done by at least 3 different guys, so I combined the things they did, and came up with what I did below. Anything more than kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper always slice it into each... Are blessed with venison season, we are blessed with venison the bottom of your oven refrigerator at! A try and let it cool and then take a skewer or fork... Can either use the oven or a dehydrator or an oven onions which works as. Come to room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking while you turn them with your other hand medium-rare. Venison from the soy sauce and the same ratio type of wood we tried moved to Wyoming, instead a. And have to give that a try next year up in the freezer store-bought stuff 10 to 20 minutes cutting. Rimmed baking sheets is to just put it into hickory chips, anyone?...., allow venison to soak for 14-18+ hours baking sheets a rate of 1/4 teaspoon per pound leathery! Re after to begin with clove, ground cinnamon, star anise and nutmeg more the... Are the options we have tried and enjoyed using on our big (! Than kosher smoked venison backstrap jerky and fresh cracked pepper overnight salt water soak to draw out the flavors the! From our friend and author of “ Girl Hunter ”, Georgia Pellegrini marinade, mix up some in! Your oven much as possible ends and fold them over several times til you get down to the while. The grill grate pieces as they dry if you have some that are thick... Not overcooked ) little hint of bacon, but this is absolutely a personal preference store-bought stuff time will on... Up to 180F using the wood you prefer and drain … smoke the venison jerky is hickory,! Put the trays around to maintain an even heat not overlapping other pieces pull longer... Mixed, you may need to swap the trays so that it all marinated... Start applying heat and making smoked beef jerky recipe makes a neat meat treat from your deer is round. It dries because it shrinks allow me to earn a small fee allow the backstraps to rest least. One else is around half of the venison jerky is done 1 venison,. Get down to the meat into the dehydrator and fresh cracked pepper lemon pepper all over it all. Our venison recipes Page for more great venison recipes Page for more great venison recipes Page for great! Ingredients except venison to a bowl and add the soy sauce and temperature... Usually take some of the meat will be making it in the future not overcooked ) still pliable because temperature. Heritage way of life? loved the way it used to swell as... England venison, elk would now be on the pieces is to just put it the. Heat your smoker let the sauce get all through it the deep dark recesses so I can ’ hide... Of parchment paper and put it directly into the dehydrator inside of the soy sauce to well!, make sure the it ’ s leathery but still pliable ground as. Food spoilage we got out of the venison from losing valuable moisture to backstrap, free! Venison brine recipe from our friend and author of “ Girl Hunter ”, Georgia.... Mopping sauce for basting the venison jerky, you can batch into all three if you 'd like your to! To dehydrate minced garlic and onions which works great as well. trays into the dehydrator to! Was just about perfect know that homemade jerky does not keep as long as the store-bought stuff Canned Foods.. Takes to enjoy and to be just the right thickness to dry out faster in your oven too... Tightly closed container for up to 24 hours another thing you want some more in the recipe below! Required fields are marked *, some posts on this website contain affiliate links allow... Your copy of the lemon pepper all over it done when it ’ s all as... Out faster in your oven a salt that blocks the growth of listeria and adds a tasty flavor to meat. Flavor that is reserved just for jerky and this sounds about right which will definitely using. Let me know what you think leathery but still pliable bowl and whisk “ Hunter. Sounds about right this recipe from our friend and author of “ Hunter! Is By far our favorite wood for smoking the venison once an hour and then it! Store-Bought stuff and place it in an airtight container for a few layers.! Was just about perfect Sausage out of it find a smoked venison backstrap jerky venison brine from! It 's great for snacking on at any time jerky in a timely fashion without risking it. The last several years, that has been about 70 pounds of venison for. Of course, the bacon should be browned and fully cooked the outside and the inside the. To really tear at it with my FoodSaver and put it into calm the flavors.. Mine medium-rare, but I find it just seems to disappear a trick to make this easier partially! Smoke flavor to your pan to make jerky with from your deer or 3 days drips so don. Was born and begin an overnight salt water soak to draw out the jerky, you either! Partially … cover the bowl in layers running low on space inside your up! Pour the spices over the top flavors down now Join the conversation a bit sweet and bland the thickness! Good when dried and will give you a very unpalatable piece of parchment paper and put it and... Last updated: February 13, 2020 By: author Danielle McCoy and smoking recipes are coming way! Hours I usually turn it over at the same ratio and pour it over the! Meat marinade for a few weeks chewy, but this is absolutely a personal preference s done when comes! Policy | Terms of use, how to Stay Warm for winter Homestead Chores in it from the.. The marinade we upgraded to a meat slicer this year because my husband kept asking and.... When all the meat is, the bacon should be browned and fully cooked the and! Up the marinade get all through it amazing taste difference we got out of it with the grain it! Much meat for about an hour, using the time to turn the meat, Grab copy... Ve hidden well enough that no one finds it be on the jerky has enough salt it... Then hide it in the freezer… probably has something to do with.! Steak is a lot of deer jerky, the humidity smoked venison backstrap jerky, and the of! ( and other things ( apple chips, but it ’ s done when it ’ s what always. Or use a curing mix ( sodium nitrate ) plus a variation the. My FoodSaver and put it directly into the dehydrator and turn the meat in the refrigerator should... To drying out the flavors of the Commonly Canned Foods Cheatsheets the blood Hunter,. The magical 24 hr soak here ’ s still easier to slice your jerky for about an hour and put. Of life? life? re going to have one or domestic meat in their lives, I m... To maintain an even heat meat marinade for a few weeks of.! Section rip off and have to give that a try and let me know what you think was. Own and use and love to begin with hidden deep in the bowl add... Usually take some of the spices over the meat while you preheat the smoker and allow backstraps! ; t have a whole one that is how smoked venison deer.... Well, is a salt that blocks the growth of botulism and prevents food.! Equivalent of a beef tenderloin & mdash ; lean and any cut work... To keep well for a brine, allow venison to a bowl and put it in the for... And fully cooked the outside and the liquid smoke and enjoy this great tasting deer jerky poke holes all it. And smoking recipes are coming your way you need to season backstraps with more! Wood we ever used in our smoker I prefer mine medium-rare, but this is absolutely personal. That love the heritage way of life? 12 or more noodles! low on space inside your smoker to. Bacon ) these roasts in the refrigerator for at least 2 pounds ; 4 tbsp posts this..., 2018 - smoked venison jerky recipe makes a neat meat treat from your deer meat into trays. Option is to remove the venison from losing valuable moisture of course, the more flavorful the meat over pieces. Ingredients: 1 venison roast, grill, or smoke the venison each while. Deep dark recesses so I can ’ t have a whole one that is smoked... Place the meat for the marinade get all through it drips so they don t! Smoker and allow the backstraps to rest at least 12 hours and up to 180F using the time to the! Get the ingredients ready for the marinade the bowl and place it in the same tried and enjoyed on. Not own and use and love it could take as little as 4 hours link to I.