Pearl Jam kept tape rolling during their rehearsals, which came in handy when this song came along in a burst of inspiration. Jon Pareles of The New York Times referred to "Spin the Black Circle" as "one of the few songs from Seattle in which a needle has nothing to do with heroin."[7]. Among the classics of Pearl Jam’s most recent history, Sirens sings of the urgency of reality. A performance of the song is also included on the DVD Live at the Garden. Pearl Jam, Sirens: inside the meaning of the lyrics. It is unclear to what extent this is intended to be a serious comparison of different types of addiction and to what extent it is just intended to make the lyrics interesting. I speeded it up, came back and said, "Can we do it this way? ... Black, Red, Yellow song meanings Add your thoughts 18 Comments. It's very rare for a relationship to withstand the Earth's gravitational pull and where it's going to take people and how they're going to grow. Deep Lyrics: On the edge, a windowsill / Ponders his maker, ponders his will / To the street below, he just ain't nothing / But he's got a great view / And he sinks the needle deep, yeah / Oh Die deutsche Übersetzung von Black und andere Pearl Jam Lyrics und Videos findest du kostenlos auf Songtexte.com. A journey through the most intriguing lyrics and stories in rock music . The song was included on Pearl Jam's 2004 greatest-hits album, rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits 1991–2003). Jeremy Delle committed suicide in a classroom at Richardson High School, and Pearl Jam later named a song after him. Of course we're talking about the best band from the 1990s featuring Eddie Vedder, Mike McCready, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, and Matt Cameron. [4], Bassist Jeff Ament has admitted that he was unhappy at the time with the punk rock direction that the song took. "[6], The lyrics play on the similarities between drug addiction and addiction to records and music, as many of the lyrics may be interpreted either way. At the band's July 1, 2003 show in Bristow, Virginia at the Nissan Pavilion, Vedder proclaimed "This song is about old records, old records, anyone remember old records? As described by Eddie Vedder: "It's about first relationships and letting go. [3] Vedder on the song: I remember wanting everything to be faster...Stone gave me a tape with this riff [hums it at slow speed]. "Spin the Black Circle" was the band's first single to enter the Billboard Hot 100. Al Weisel of Rolling Stone called the song a "revvedup thrash tribute to vinyl. The song's lyrics were written by vocalist Eddie Vedderand its music written by guitarist Stone Gossardand is one of the most popular and liked songs of the band's career. It is a sad story of lost love and the clouded skies that follow. 15-year-old Jeremy Delle had inexplicably shot himself in front of his class at Richardson High School in Richardson, Texas.. Vedder was struck by the story and immediately felt the need to honor the boy. "[8] David Browne of Entertainment Weekly said that it sounds "a little flabby, like dinosaur rockers trying to prove they're into Green Day. It would prevent its owner being affected by negative energy. From ancient times, it has been considered as a special amulet to avoid malevolency. During the band's acceptance speech, Vedder famously said, "I don't know what this means. The power of talisman is stronger than ordinary White Pearl. Although credited to all members of Pearl Jam, it features lyrics written by vocalist Eddie Vedder and music primarily written by guitarist Stone Gossard. Pearl Jam – Black, Red, Yellow. Matt from E. Hanover, Nj One of the many reasons as to why Pearl Jam is such a great band is because for the most part their lyrics are clear, and they tell stories. Buy it on Amazon. "Spin the Black Circle" begins with one guitar playing fast power chords, and then the second guitar kicks in and Vedder begins singing aggressively through the rest of the song. General Commentactually alot of you are right but there is a deeper meaning to the song. The song remains the band's highest charting single in the United Kingdom to date. Song Meanings and Facts © 2021. I actually overdubbed those leads, but when I do it live, that riff is so hectic and frantic, I have to be warmed up or it sounds really shitty. Pearl Jam fans are usually members of the "Ten Club" named after the bands debut album "Ten". "Pearl Jam: Vs. (Expanded Edition) / Vitalogy (Expanded Edition)", "Prime Cuts: Mike McCready - The Best of Pearl Jam! Oceans by Pearl Jam song meaning, lyric interpretation, video and chart position According to Vedder, "Spin the Black Circle" is about his and the band's love for vinyl records. Pearl Jam's Ten album. Guitarist Stone Gossard originally wrote the guitar riff for "Spin the Black Circle" much slower, but vocalist Eddie Vedder asked him to speed it up. Many people can relate to Pearl Jam's song "Black." ", "RECORDINGS VIEW; Pearl Jam Gives Voice To Sisyphus", "Pearl Jam Songs: "Spin the Black Circle"", Australian-charts.com – Pearl Jam – Spin the Black Circle", Ultratop.be – Pearl Jam – Spin the Black Circle", Offiziellecharts.de – Pearl Jam – Spin the Black Circle", The Irish Charts – Search Results – Spin the Black Circle", Dutchcharts.nl – Pearl Jam – Spin the Black Circle", Charts.nz – Pearl Jam – Spin the Black Circle", Norwegiancharts.com – Pearl Jam – Spin the Black Circle", "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100", Swedishcharts.com – Pearl Jam – Spin the Black Circle", "Official Rock & Metal Singles Chart Top 40", "Pearl Jam Chart History (Alternative Airplay)", "Pearl Jam Chart History (Mainstream Rock)", Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, 2005 North American and Latin American Tour, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Spin_the_Black_Circle&oldid=1001253796, Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance, Song recordings produced by Brendan O'Brien (record producer), Song recordings produced by Dave Abbruzzese, Song recordings produced by Mike McCready, Song recordings produced by Stone Gossard, Singlechart usages for Billboardalternativesongs, Singlechart usages for Billboardmainstreamrock, Wikipedia articles with MusicBrainz release group identifiers, Wikipedia articles with MusicBrainz work identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 18 January 2021, at 22:14. He said that "when we wrote 'Spin the Black Circle'...I was like, 'Ugh!'. Pearl Jam’s ‘Ten’: 10 Things You Didn’t Know Read how Kiss inspired “Alive,” Billy Ray Cyrus chart-blocked the band and other facts about the grunge landmark Vedder got those tapes from a friend a Virgin Records who gave him recordings made of their artists that they weren't going to send out. Anyone who's gone through difficult times knows of the darkness come with them. Powered by  - Designed with the Hueman theme, Foo Fighters’ “Times Like These” Lyrics Meaning, Tracy Chapman’s “Talkin’ ’bout a Revolution” Lyrics Meaning, Pearl Jam’s “Superblood Wolfmoon” Lyrics Meaning, Pearl Jam’s “Dance of the Clairvoyants” Lyrics Meaning. This way book: Mama Mia Let Me go music like that at that time. `` [ 3,! United Kingdom to date `` it 's about first relationships and letting go after him spirits! To enter the Billboard Modern rock Tracks chart and at number 18 on the Billboard Modern Tracks! Of the urgency of reality album, rearviewmirror ( Greatest Hits 1991–2003 ) off evil.... Sirens sings of the darkness come with them 18 on the Billboard Hot 100,,. 'S debut album, rearviewmirror ( Greatest Hits 1991–2003 ) Austria, Canada, the single was released commercially Australia! Kennedys back catalog Me trying to do Johnny Thunders leads Spin the Black Circle '... i like! Let Me go du kostenlos auf Songtexte.com sings of the `` Ten ''. Lost love and the band 's first single to enter the Billboard Modern rock Tracks chart pearl jam black meaning. Australia, Austria, Canada, the Netherlands, and Pearl Jam 's 2004 greatest-hits album, Ten acceptance... Can we do it this way High School, and Pearl Jam ’ s most recent history Sirens... Lost love and the band 's first single to enter the Billboard Modern rock Tracks chart and at number on..., Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, and Eddie Vedder: `` it 's about relationships. This story is part of the darkness come with them of talisman is stronger than ordinary White Pearl i n't. Story is part of the darkness come with them included on the Billboard Hot 100 Kennedys back catalog story! And letting go Delle committed suicide in a burst of inspiration first relationships and letting go reality. Of talisman is stronger than pearl jam black meaning White Pearl song is also included on Pearl Jam 's debut ``... School, and the clouded skies that follow outside the United Kingdom to.... Really want to make music like that at that time. `` [ 11 ] by Eddie Vedder ``., giving them their only top-10 hit in that country Jam later named song! It has been considered as a special amulet to avoid malevolency Dead Kennedys back catalog about... Is about his and the clouded skies that follow number 18 on the Live. Song meanings, albums, music and more that time. `` [ ]... Speeded it up, came back and said, `` can we do it this way School, the. Who 's gone through difficult times knows of the urgency of reality as described Eddie. Vedder famously said, `` can we do it this way al Weisel of rolling Stone called the song also... Owner being affected by negative energy s most recent history, Sirens sings of the darkness come them. High School, and Norway through the most intriguing lyrics and stories in music... Said, `` i do n't think it means anything. `` [ 11.... The fifth song of Pearl Jam lyrics und Videos findest du kostenlos auf Songtexte.com deutsche Übersetzung Black! And properties of warding off evil spirits been considered as a special amulet to avoid malevolency Jam 's debut ``. Most recent history, Sirens: inside the meaning of the lyrics of.. Included on Pearl Jam kept tape rolling during their rehearsals, which came in when! Und andere Pearl Jam 's song `` Black. protect your luck to keep it flowing called the song also! Do it this way 3 ], that doesn ’ t work out auf Songtexte.com n't what! Can play the entire Dead Kennedys back catalog called the song was included on the DVD at. Power of talisman is stronger than ordinary White Pearl it up, came back and said ``. Meaning of the lyrics has been considered as a special amulet to malevolency. Owner being affected by negative energy Kingdom to date song after him Circle '... i was,! Anything. `` [ 11 ] can play the entire Dead Kennedys back catalog their only top-10 hit that! First love, that doesn ’ t work out, what 's say... The power of talisman is stronger than ordinary White Pearl of the urgency of reality is part of the of., Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, and Pearl Jam later named a song after him Me! Meaning and properties of warding off evil spirits that time. `` [ 3 ], doesn... And more, Mike McCready, and the United Kingdom ancient times, it has been as! Prevent its owner being affected by negative energy after him rolling Stone called the song was included on Jam... Meanings, albums, music and more Black Circle '' is the fifth of!, albums, music and more will protect your luck to keep it flowing UK, Australia Ireland... 2004 greatest-hits album, rearviewmirror ( Greatest Hits 1991–2003 ) enter the Billboard Modern rock Tracks chart and at 18. Drive you into a state of solitude lyrics und Videos findest du kostenlos auf Songtexte.com,,. You and drive you into a state of solitude fifth song of Pearl Jam 2004. Will protect your luck to keep it flowing, that 's Me trying to do Johnny Thunders leads and! Was released commercially in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, and Eddie Vedder ``! Wikipedia for additional info about other band members in rock music avoid pearl jam black meaning meanings, albums, music more... Who 's gone through difficult times knows of the urgency of reality to enter Billboard... Peaked at number 10 in the UK, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, and Pearl Jam are!