"Oh, sure," agreed Wilson hurriedly and went toward the little office, mingling immediately with the cement color of the walls. East and West Egg are the residential neighborhoods of the rich. Nick and Gatsby are one of the only characters who had to work for their money. Unlike the West Egg inhabitants who are mostly members of the nouveau riche, people who worked their way into their riches. Symbolism - Connecting the East and West Eggs: The valley of ashes symbolizes the social and moral wasteland upon which Doctor T.J. Eckleberg’s eyes are constantly trained. East Egg and West Egg represent Old Money and New Money. The one on, my right was a colossal affair by any standard … My own house was an eyesore, but it, was a small eyesore, and it had been overlooked, so I had a view of the water, a partial, view of my neighbor's lawn, and the consoling proximity of millionaires—all for eighty, 2. The West Egg represents the "new money." One of the most important themes in the novel is class and social standing. An area halfway between New York City and West Egg, ... read analysis of East and West. Find related themes, quotes, symbols, characters, and more. Symbol #5. Please Note: Spoilers ahead if you haven't read the novel. Nick and Gatsby are on the West, which is for people who don't have any real standing, even if they have money. The Great Gatsby. The Great Gatsby. Daisy's husband, Tom, has an affair with Myrtle, who lives in the Valley of Ashes. They also arn't as rich as Tom and Daisy live on the East Egg which is far more refined and "well bred". Symbols; Character: Jordan Baker; ... East Egg condescending to West Egg, and carefully on guard against its spectroscopic gayety" Jay Gatsby, the protagonist, is able to attain a certain amount of wealth, but he cannot fake education or social behaviors that only come with "old money." The distinguishing between east and west egg is the best way that Fitzgerald describes the difference in wealth. a higher social status. Between the city and these wealthy suburbs is the Valley of Ashes which is where the working-class reside. East and West EggsEast and West Eggs are two fictional villages Fitzgerald has created to represent the different ideas of the new rich and the old rich. It is a barrier for almost every character. Please Note: Spoilers ahead if you haven't read the novel. "Everyone in West Egg is a bootlegger". From the moment he introduces readers to East Egg and West Egg, F. Scott Fitzgerald uses the descriptions of the area, the homes, and even the people to set up the class theme that comes into play in the novel. This is a valley of ashes - a fantastic farm where ashes, grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens; where ashes take the, forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and, finally, with a transcendent ef-, fort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. While West and East Egg are the settings for the ridiculous extravagance of both the old and new money crowd, and Manhattan the setting for business and organized crime, the valley of ashes tends to be where the novel situates the grubby and underhanded manipulations that show the darker side of the surrounding glamor. Examples Of The American Dream In The Great Gatsby. It represents the people, who are born rich and are considered classy, with an arrogant stance toward West Egg. Tom deferred that much to the sen-, sibilities of those East Eggers who might be on the train.” Ch2 pg. The action of The Great Gatsby takes place along a corridor stretching from New York City to the suburbs known as West and East Egg. The East and West Eggs act as a symbol of this in their physical makeup. She has a less than simple life, but she is able to hide from the public rather well. Important Quotes; The Great Gatsby East and West Egg by F. Scott Fitzgerald One of the most important themes in the novel is class and social standing. The Roaring Twenties become the back drop for the novel and are quite signific… Chapter 1, East Egg has mostly people who come from old money, or were born into their riches. “Across the courtesy bay the white palaces of fashionable East Egg glittered along. Midway between the Eggs and Manhattan lies the “valley of ashes,” where Myrtle and George Wilson have a run-down garage. They also arn't as rich as He pushed and pushed and laid the 1st egg, then the 2nd. Myrtle raised her eyebrows in despair at the shiftless-, ness of the lower orders. A drunken man was dreaming that he died and reincarnated on earth as a chicken. Line-by-line modern translations of every Shakespeare play and poem. The East possesses a general symbolism as the ancient world where civilization was born. "I lived at West Egg, the – well, the least fashionable of the two, though this is a most, superficial tag to express the bizarre and not a little sinister contrast between them. My, house was at the very tip of the egg, only fifty yards from the Sound, and squeezed be-, tween two huge places that rented for twelve or fifteen thousand a season. East Egg and West Egg Symbolism Lauren, Erica, Mandy, Rachel West Egg Nick Carraway and Jay Gatsby live in West Egg This shows the dividing line between West and East Egg. It is the world of those who make their own fortune and are not rich by birth. West and East Egg serve as stand-ins for the real life locations of two peninsulas along the northern shore of Long Island. This is the category Gatsby himself falls under, as he throws lavish parties to impress. Great Gatsby Quotes-1 - East Egg vs West Egg 1\"IlivedatWestEgg,thewell,,thoughthisisamost .My ,,andsqueezedbe tweentwohugep, 10 out of 10 people found this document helpful, 1. Tom and Daisy belong to East Egg. This quote explains how Tom Buchanan thinks East Egg is the best place to live, and he doesn't think anywhere else, even West Egg is better. Across the courtesy bay the white palaces of fashionable East Egg glittered along the water. You're shitting on the bed!" A drunken man was dreaming that he died and reincarnated on earth as a chicken. East Egg has more social clout, respectabillity, and "taste" than those resising in West Egg. This preview shows page 1 - 3 out of 12 pages. The desolate area indicates the decline of values in consequence of the unrestrained displays of extravagance and satiation that take place in both the East and West Eggs. The Roaring Twenties represent a prosperous time in American History after World War I. Learn more about The Great Gatsby with Course Hero's FREE study guides and 4.“Already it was deep summer on roadhouse roofs and in front of wayside garages, where new red gas-pumps sat out in pools of light, and when I reached my estate at, West Egg I ran the car under its shed and sat for a while on an abandoned grass roller, 5. It represents the people, who are born rich and are considered classy, with an arrogant stance toward West Egg. The East symbolizes fashionable life, sophistication, the “modern society” and the land where anything can happen. The split between the eastern and western regions of the United States is mirrored in Gatsby by the divide between East Egg and West Egg: once again the West is the frontier of people making their fortunes, but these "Westerners" are as hollow and corrupt inside as the "Easterners." Gatsby is forced to look across the water from his house in west egg while Tom and Daisy get to lavishly live in east egg.