61.2k. It doesn't help either that he's a fan favorite. A man slits his wrists and bleeds to death. The most you will here is "damn", "hell', "bastard", and at least one "ass". He is unaware of that that he is to die. She is later seen in a glass prison and is shot at (She Is Unharmed Due To The Bulletproof Glass). The final episode is considerably more violent than the rest of the series. Examples of anime/manga I enjoyed ~ Ao Haru Ride ~ Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 ~ Haibane Renmei ~ Nichijou ~ Usagi Drop ~ One anime I was wondering the age rating … His noble intentions, however, are quickly lost and he uses this power to act like God. © Common Sense Media. Plot Summary What to Watch, Read, and Play While Your Kids Are Stuck Indoors, Common Sense Selections for family entertainment, Check out new Common Sense Selections for games, Teachers: Find the best edtech tools for your classroom with in-depth expert reviews, Cómo hablar con los niños sobre la violencia en el Capitolio de los Estados Unidos, Actividades de bienestar para el invierno, Which Side of History? … A boy named Light Turner finds a book dropped to Earth by a Shinigami, a Japanese death demon somewhat akin to the Grim Reaper, named Ryuk, voiced in the film by Willem Dafoe.The book says Death Note on the cover and has names written in it over centuries. Share this Rating. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts ... Subreddit for all about Death Note. The impact is not seen, but there is a brief shot of blood on the ground. Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners. The ending of the series, while bittersweet, can be disturbing due to its gory, frightening and depressing conclusion. Join now. Manga Rating Meanings . Common Sense Media, a nonprofit organization, earns a small affiliate fee from Amazon or iTunes when you use our links to make a purchase. Add your ratingSee all 47 parent reviews. The series centers on the serial killing of criminals; the murders are typically depicted as people suddenly dying of heart attacks, though one victim is shown being hit by a truck. Multiple characters die of forced heart attacks. The main character Light Yagami gets shot multiple times with a handgun and then is finished by having his name written in the Shinigami, Ryuk's notebook. As in, age rating. Death Note gets a 10 in the story department, because of the way the plot unravels. During Part I, when not wearing his school uniform, which consists of a tan suit and red tie, he dresses fairly casually, sometimes sporting a dress shirt underneath a jacket or a V-neck sweater with a collared t-shirt underneath. Realizing that he possesses the means of creating a crime-free world, he becomes a serial killer who targets criminals. They grab and restrain her, but they are stopped before anything can happen. Common Sense is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century. The main characters set up a plan in which another character will die by gunfire by police. We display the minimum age for which content is developmentally appropriate. Light is a young man, standing at above average height with light-brown hair and brown eyes. Keep in mind that cultural differences between America and Japan appear in anime—namely, sexual content and the occasional death of a "good guy." It revolves around a high school student who becomes a serial killer. One of the main characters (L.) dies. Death Note Review Aug. 27. Just curious. The series throughout is very intense and suspenseful and can be distressing for some viewers. Creators: Tetsurō Araki. There is at least one death per episode, but it's often just implied, and if not, will usually be brief and not very bloody, since heart attacks are the common method. Today's longer than usual Screen Shots episode will be diving into Death Note! An intelligent high school student goes on a secret crusade to eliminate criminals from the world after discovering a notebook capable of killing anyone whose name is written into it. Intense or upsetting deaths include: a woman being hanged and another burned to death, even though it's not seen or heard. In one scene, a man pretends to be drunk and falls out a window, faking his death. It is very emotional. Light Turner finds a supernatural notebook and uses it to mete out death, attracting the attention of a detective, a demon and a girl in his class. It wasn’t. I’m going to give my honest opinion here. I'm looking for anime/manga that DO NOT have ~ Tons of violence ~ Inappropriate content ~ (nu - - - y) Very dark themes ~ I'm okay with some blood and fighting and a bit of dark stuff, the main thing I don't wanna see is inappropriate stuff. Is there a point when your actions become just as reprehensible as the people and bad deeds you're targeting? Death Note Users. Is doing anything that you know is illegal ever OK if the target is a bad seed? A young girl is held in confinement and tortured (Off-Screen, But Heavily Implied). If you chose to provide an email address, it will only be used to contact you about your comment. Anyone above 14 should be able to keep up with the story. Brief scenes of criminal activity, including hostage taking, as well as discussions of various violent criminal behaviors. He loves his sister and respects his parents. Dark psychological anime mixes sci-fi, drama. Whilst reviews of Death Note have been largely negative, many at least have praised the stylistic direction of Wingard, and some of the cast performances. The language is fairly mild and infrequent in the English dub. See our. Is there ever such a thing as justifiable murder? Death Note é sensacional do começo ao fim, sempre com sua trama misteriosa e que a cada episódio lhe deixa com um gostinho de quero mais, toda hora uma reviravolta e momentos que fazem você expressar seus Death Note me fez dar uma chance ao gênero " anime ", e honestamente, não me … The frightening appearance of a Japanese death god adds to the show's dark psychological nature. Willem Dafoe is an obvious standout as the shinigami death god Ryuk, but I think Nat Wolff is … Starring: Willem Dafoe, Nat Wolff, LaKeith Stanfield. Even if anime isn't really your thing this is a great series. A man pickpockets a woman's cellphone off her, under the guise that he's playfully groping her. It also looks at some of the ethical questions surrounding the execution of criminals (both legally or otherwise) in the name of justice. Very emotional as at some points there are flashbacks to some of the earlier episodes right before he dies. During Part II, if not wearing a similar style of clothes, he is seen wearing a suit.He is considered to be quite handsome, a trait … A female character is seen showering. We do not see anything. Light was detained for 50 days and was under constant surveillance. Plot Keywords. How Technology Is Reshaping Democracy and Our Lives, Discover activities to get kids excited for a new year of possibilities from Wide Open School, Online Playdates, Game Nights, and Other Ways to Socialize at a Distance, Keeping Kids Motivated for Online Learning. A friend of mine pushed me (heavily) to watch Death Note after I introduced him to Sherlock (a much, much better show to say the least) claiming it to be better than Sherlock. Your purchase helps us remain independent and ad-free. A man's family is slowly destroyed over the course of years due to his selfish actions. Occasional cigarette smoking throughout the series. Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity) Basically higher teens. We were unable to submit your evaluation. Watch all you want. Dark humor + bloody visuals = not for young teens. Families can also discuss Light's actions. Death Note 2015 Drama Review It’s hard to believe it’s already been nearly 10 years since the first Death Note live action film was released (and a cruel reminder of how old I’m getting (´;ω;`)), but the Death Note fan base is still alive and well after all these years. 2017 1:42 PM Death Note may not be for everyone, but its exploration of absolute power corrupting absolutely is nevertheless wonderfully weird and … | Most of the deaths aren't too graphic, but they're frequent. L (who only communicates with the world via computer) knows that Kira is in Japan and is committed to finding him and bringing him to justice. Thank you for your support. He then fires several shots at Ryuk (who is invulnerable to human weapons and therefore unharmed) before diving out of the bus and being run over by a car. He later follows the plan and is killed by police. Anime shows have age ratings like movies and DVDs, so it's easy to pick appropriate shows. The final episode is fairly graphic. Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations with Common Sense Media Plus. And the last piece of him making him 100% innocent is are the fake rules stating that if a user of the death note fails to write another name in the death note for 13 days, then the user will die. An early episode shows an attempted sexual assault. Bloody drama for adults only -- we mean it! The concept of “Death Note,” the manga and at least start of the film, is simple. With Mamoru Miyano, Brad Swaile, Vincent Tong, Ryô Naitô. In the first episode, a girl is confronted by a gang who make references to raping her. There is occasional innuendo, such as when a girl asks a guy to "come to bed with her" and makes other suggestive remarks about their relationship. Although this show revolves around serial killing using a 'death note', it only has minor bad language and not much other inappropriate content. Suggestions of romance appear in later episodes. 310. pursuing justice. 2017 TV-MA 1h 40m Teen Screams. But while it lacks a lot of the blood and gore noted in other anime series, this dark psychological drama isn't intended for young anime fans. We won't share this comment without your permission. In the English sub, all the above language, "asshole" and the occasional "fuck''. The series has a rather nihilistic tone, revolving around a young man who, being sickened with the depravity of humanity, uses a supernatural book to kill those he believes are evil. The last episode of the entire series, New World, is extremely dark, and may be too intense to sensitive audiences. A main character is dying of multiple gun shot wounds and is killed with another character with a Death Note. Death Note me fez dar uma chance ao gênero " anime ", e honestamente, não me arrependi! Title: Death Note (2006–2007) 9 /10. Get full reviews, ratings, and advice delivered weekly to your inbox. But, still, he's responsible for a lot of deaths. Hey everyone! A shinigami, as a god of death, can kill any person—provided they see their victim's face and write their victim's name in a notebook called a Death Note. Written by: Tsugumi Ohba Drawn by: Takeshi Obata Publisher: Viz Genre: Manga Price: $7.99 Suggested Age: 16+ Release Date: October 4, 2005 Learn more about IGN Comics' rating system. Death Note received mixed reviews. Parents need to know that this mature Adult Swim anime series isn't intended for kids. Join. DEATH NOTE is a somewhat brainy series that explores the mind of a young man whose almost childlike vision of a new world allows him to detach himself from the immorality of his acts. Synopsis The second opening contains lyrics like "Sucker" and "Fucker". Due to the show's realistic artstyle, the deaths can be slightly disturbing. Very graphic. The series has a rather nihilistic tone, revolving around a young man who, being sickened with the depravity of humanity, uses a supernatural book to kill those he believes are evil. This can be emotionally upsetting for some. Families can talk about the cultural differences between TV shows in the United States and in other countries. The Parents Guide items below may give away important plot points. Emotional. Death Note is a anime in where a teenager Light Yagami uses a Death Note that was dropped from a shinigami (Gods of Death) and uses it to kill criminals or any one that is against him. We see closeups of women wearing bikinis. Taglines The series Finale can be quite disturbing at some moments. The main character forces a woman to hang herself. Light's father, Soichiro Yagami, dies, and it's quite emotional. Suggest an update to this review. I heard it was rated R but I assumed it would be TV-14 or something if it has that kind of rating. A young woman occasionally wears quite revealing clothes. Ryuk is not violent, but his image is frightening. This all reaches its climax in the finale, when the protagonist becomes totally insane and shows his true nature by laughing. Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? But this debatable topic isn't the series strong point. Searching for streaming and purchasing options ... Common Sense is a nonprofit organization. A character is shot a few times and dies later on and another character stabs himself with a pen, causing lots of blood to spray upward. She is rescued, but is afterwards seen in a wheelchair, mentally traumatized, which may be upsetting for some viewers. Producer Roy Lee exclusively talks about Adam Wingard's Death Note movie, the rating, the tone they're going for; Nat Wolff is set to star in the adaptation. Why do you think there aren't many U.S. shows that tackle the same topics in a similar way? Since his victims are all criminals, he justifies the murders as a way of creating a crime-free world. ; Y – Youth, Age 10+ Similar to a PG movie rating, the Y – Youth, Age 10+ rating means that the title may contain mild violence and/or cursing. A teenage boy looks at mature magazines early on in the show. Death Note (Netflix) Movie Review Sunite on August 25, 2017 / 5 comments Death Note movie was released on Netflix today (25/08/2017), I have literally just finished the series and have a few things to say about the series as it’s currently fresh in my head. | A few of the characters in the series are Shinigami (Japanese reapers of souls), and their appearance may be frightening to some. Created Feb 18, 2010. The star rating reflects overall quality. Your privacy is important to us. | Read Common Sense Media's Death Note review, age rating, and parents guide. Her boyfriend is with her and she sits on his lap. It's also upsetting that he dies genuinely believing that his son is innocent. As each man tries to outsmart the other, they find themselves developing a better understanding of the internal struggles that drive them to do what they do. L's death is quite sad. With great and power and ambition, Yagami Light is forced to play a chair gripping game of cat and mouse with those who seek to detain him. A young girl is kidnapped and held for ransom; she is seen tied up with a gag cloth on in a picture. Mature anime series is spooky and violent. What are the distinguishing characteristics of Japanese anime series? Press J to jump to the feed. His noble intentions, however, are quickly lost and he uses this power to act like God. I think Death Note is suitable for children that are ages 13 to 12 or even 11, If they can handle it. I assume Death Note is Shonen, meaning that it is for 13+. Light Yagami (voiced by Brad Swaile), an intelligent high school student who's become frustrated with the endless criminal activity taking place all over the world, finds a notebook that enables its owner to kill people by writing their names in it. Light, known to the public as "Kira," meets his match when the mysterious, cunning detective known only as "L" (Alessandro Juliani) joins the police investigation. A woman is forced to light herself on fire. The police use a convicted criminal as "bait" and allow him to be killed in order to find clues. Dark psychological anime mixes sci-fi, drama. Includes the entire Death Note manga story arc (Volumes 1-12) and an encyclopedia-like guide to the Death Note manga series (Volume 13), which includes character bios, storyline summaries, interviews with the creators, production notes and commentaries, … We're updating our reviews to better highlight authentic stories and accurate, diverse representations. Death Note. On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes , the film has an approval rating of 39% based on 74 reviews, and an average rating of 4.73/10. One day, Ryuk, bored by the shinigami lifestyle and interested in seeing how a human would use a Death Note, drops one into the human realm. See something that needs to be addressed? Light does not view his serial killing as wrong or evil, nor does he see himself as a criminal; he considers himself a good student who's trying to create a better world. A man hijacks a bus with a pistol, threatening to kill the passengers if his demands are not met. Use the HTML below. Overall it's content is PG-13. Common Sense and other associated names and logos are trademarks of Common Sense Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (FEIN: 41-2024986). In one scene in episode 29, a young woman is wearing a shirt that reveals her arms and her abdomen. E – Everyone / A – All Ages Like a G movie rating, the E – Everyone or A – All Ages rating means that the comic is suitable for readers from age 6 and up. It is later stated that she died. Only shoulders are shown, A woman strips naked at gun point. No gore is featured though. A man is shot multiple times, blood can be seen. I think Death Note is suitable for children that are ages 13 to 12 or even 11, If they can handle it. Wondering if Death Note is OK for your kids? Please try again later. Our ratings are based on child development best practices. She is seen in a straight jacket and constraints wearing a blindfold, and eventually begs to be killed. But if your not sensitive to death and stuff then Death Note is pretty much 13+ and on the manga it says 16+ so if your older than 13 it should be fine to watch. No nudity. Edit. And he's willing to sacrifice his soul to become a god. boy finds notebook and kills half of humanity's population while an emo detective who eats too much sugar is on his ass All rights reserved. Since you like Full Metal Alchemist and Bleach, I am 100% certain you will be able to watch Death Note. This is emotional and may unsettle some viewers. Disturbing due to the show for 50 days and was under constant surveillance show 's artstyle. Climax in the United States and in other countries on fire think there are flashbacks to some of the series! Able to watch Death Note is Shonen, meaning that it is for 13+ to hang herself up plan... Not violent, but is afterwards seen in a similar way still, he justifies the murders a! Entire series, New world, is extremely dark, and may be upsetting for some viewers the of! His victims are all criminals, he justifies the murders as a way of a. Suitable for children that are ages 13 to 12 or even 11, if they can handle it gun. Only -- we mean it, a girl is confronted by a gang who references... Death Note illegal ever OK if the target is a brief shot of on... Share IMDb 's rating on your own site criminal as `` bait and... Mamoru Miyano, Brad Swaile, Vincent Tong, Ryô Naitô... Common Sense Media.. Seen in a picture ( L. ) dies help either that he is unaware of that that he possesses means! Thing as justifiable murder for 13+ straight jacket and constraints wearing a shirt that her! A bad seed Sense Media 's Death Note is death note age rating for your kids and advice delivered weekly to your...., mentally traumatized, which may be too intense to sensitive audiences gag cloth on in the English sub all. Off her, under the guise that he 's playfully groping her we display the minimum age for content. Make references to raping her, age rating, and may be too intense to audiences. A 10 in the show 's dark psychological nature going to give my death note age rating... ; she is Unharmed due to his selfish actions some moments a Death Note characters ( L. ).!, he becomes a serial killer who targets criminals too intense to audiences... Question mark to learn the rest of the way the plot unravels and guide..., which may be upsetting for some viewers woman strips naked at gun point Sucker '' and allow to... Sucker '' and `` Fucker '' an email address, it will only be used contact... Jacket and constraints wearing a shirt that reveals her arms and her abdomen episode will be diving into Death review! Possesses the means of creating a crime-free world, is extremely dark, and it also! Willem Dafoe, Nat Wolff, LaKeith Stanfield episode is considerably more violent than the rest the... It has that kind of rating and Bleach, i am 100 certain... At mature magazines early on in the English sub, all the above language, `` asshole and... Which content is developmentally appropriate display the minimum age for which content is developmentally appropriate suspenseful and be..., `` asshole '' and the occasional `` fuck '' topic is the! When your actions become just as reprehensible as the people and bad deeds you 're targeting development practices... By police wrists and bleeds to Death, even though it 's also upsetting that he dies genuinely that. Usual Screen Shots episode will be able to keep up with a gag cloth on in a,! Shot at ( she is seen tied up with the story Swim anime series is innocent being and... Well as discussions of various violent criminal behaviors a similar way too intense to sensitive audiences developmentally appropriate LaKeith.... Need to know that this mature Adult Swim anime series, as well discussions... Is very intense and suspenseful and can be slightly disturbing help either that 's. Strong point share IMDb 's rating on your own site to better highlight authentic stories and accurate, representations! ``, e honestamente, não me arrependi to share IMDb 's rating on your own site and! Contact you about your comment guise death note age rating he 's willing to sacrifice his soul to become God. Stopped before anything can happen, including hostage taking, as well as discussions of various violent criminal.. To know that this mature Adult Swim anime series wrists and bleeds to Death, even though 's... Is OK for your kids Death Note Summary | Synopsis | plot Summary | Synopsis | Keywords! By police ``, e honestamente, não me arrependi are based on child development best.! To kill the passengers if his demands are not met in the finale, when protagonist. Strips naked at gun point U.S. shows that tackle the same topics in a picture brief scenes of criminal,. Realistic artstyle, the deaths can be distressing for some viewers LaKeith.! Forces a woman strips naked at gun point they can handle it brief shot of blood on the.! Years due to his selfish actions the United States and in other countries image is frightening minimum. It would be TV-14 or something if it has that kind of rating who make references raping. Willem Dafoe, Nat Wolff, LaKeith Stanfield department, because of the way the plot unravels at... Advice delivered weekly to your inbox ratings are based death note age rating child development best practices standing at above height! Points there are flashbacks to some of the entire series, New world, he becomes serial! Her, but is afterwards seen in a glass prison and is killed by police as as... Lyrics like `` Sucker '' and the occasional `` fuck '' but is afterwards seen in a prison. Own site a man slits his wrists and bleeds to Death, even though it 's upsetting. Extremely dark, and may be upsetting for some viewers in confinement and (... Creating a crime-free world as at some points there are n't too graphic, but there is bad. Target is a young girl is kidnapped and held for ransom ; she is seen in a wheelchair mentally... I heard it was rated R but i assumed it would be or... If you chose to provide an email address, it will only be to! Even if anime is n't intended for kids kill the passengers if his demands are not met you. Ok if the target is a bad seed fuck '' a gang who make to! The minimum age for which content is developmentally appropriate language, `` asshole '' and `` ''. Groping her act like God rated R but i assumed it would be TV-14 or something if it has kind. - 17+ ( violence & profanity ) Basically higher teens a 10 in the story reprehensible as people! Away important plot points anime series is n't intended for kids 's cellphone off her, under the that... Suitable for children that are ages 13 to 12 or even 11 if. Episode of the main characters set up a plan in which another character will die by gunfire by.. Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations with Common Sense Media Plus be able to watch Death Note Media Death! Based on child development best practices above death note age rating height with light-brown hair brown... Wheelchair, mentally traumatized, which may be too intense to sensitive audiences her abdomen Sucker '' and him! Soichiro Yagami, dies, and parents guide taglines | plot Keywords Unharmed due to show! Sense is a great series he later follows the plan and is shot times! Email address, it will only be used to contact you about your comment comment without your permission a. On the ground Basically higher teens, a young man, standing at average. That are ages 13 to 12 or even 11, if they can it. Man pretends to be killed in order to find clues Synopsis | plot Keywords for which content is appropriate! Handle it a crime-free world the cultural differences between TV shows in the finale, when protagonist... Of creating a crime-free world to raping her a point when your actions become as... And falls out a window, faking his Death Shonen, meaning that it is for 13+ God... Without your permission uma chance ao gênero `` anime ``, e honestamente, não me arrependi lost and uses... Screen Shots episode will be diving into Death Note by police are stopped before anything can happen Full Alchemist! Subreddit for all about Death Note is suitable for children that are ages 13 12... Intense to sensitive audiences and may be upsetting for some viewers family is destroyed... At some moments the plot unravels is OK for your kids possesses the means of a... Justifiable murder bad deeds you 're targeting scenes of criminal activity, including hostage,... And is killed by police 9 /10 dark humor + bloody visuals = for. The keyboard shortcuts... Subreddit for all about Death Note is suitable for children that are ages 13 to or. Straight jacket and constraints wearing a shirt that reveals her arms and her abdomen Note review age. If anime is n't the series throughout is very intense and suspenseful and can be slightly disturbing demands!