far better at starting books than finishing. Reading books in French is a fantastic way to complement your studies by increasing your vocabulary and improving your understanding of written grammatical rules. This autobiographical novel tells the story of author Camara Laye’s childhood growing up in Guinea. This novel delves into the microcosm of the Parisian Notre Dame Cathedral in the Middle Ages, featuring the gypsy Esmeralda, the National Guard Captain Phoebus, and the hunchback, Quasimodo, amongst other colorful characters. His characters are well developed and his stories are interesting enough, but I found a lot of them to be “realistic” to the point of being cynical and depressing. It has been republished more than a dozen times and is a must for translators.This is the book that native speakers refer to when they want to understand or explain some aspects of French grammar. This love letter to southern France explores Pagnol’s own childhood, specifically a summer when his family and that of his mother’s sister rented a home in the French countryside. However, perhaps some might be looking for a window into contemporary French society rather than the views of the 19 th -century presented by the likes of Victor Hugo, Alexandre Dumas, and Emile Zola. It’s still worth the read. I know many people who purchased piles of French books and put them dutifully on their shelves… where they ended up gathering dust for years, just because cracking the spine seemed too scary. The Charterhouse of Parma. In Les Mis even French dictionaries don’t have all the words. Villeneuve’s tale features many subplots and fantastical devic… Kindle Edition. Still, I do remember a line to the effect that Charles Royer, a notorious prig who was mayor of Tours and who proposed requiring women to wear bras, “n’aimaient pas les points qui suintent.” I got that one. I am currently reading Les Misérables and it is taking a long time, but very enjoyable. The simple yet poignant story is accompanied by illustrations, making it even easier to understand. While heavily criticized for painting colonized Africa as a relatively peaceful place devoid of violence, the novel is nonetheless recognized as one of the earliest major works in Francophone African literature and won the Prix Charles Veillon in 1954. That’s a reflection on the readership, not the paper itself, but still…), I learned a lot of my *improper* French from Charlie Hebdo (well before the recent troubles) and from the San Antonio series of pulp novels by Frédéric Dard. The book follows the life of Little Jack, born on the coldest day ever in Edinburgh. “Hygiène de l’assassin” by Amélie Nothomb. Like most of her works, this novel falls into the category of autofiction, following Amélie’s life working and living in Japan. Free shipping on orders of $59 or more. 7 Best Books About French History. also started Madame Bovary, which was promising. This childhood classic is the perfect foray into French literature for beginning readers of French (though there are definitely easier children’s books to read). Click here if you’ve missed our first post, touching on German language. $3.99 #17. Discover the best French Cooking, Food & Wine in Best Sellers. 10 of the best novels about France – that will take you there Literary trips From the backstreets of Paris in Perfume to sun-baked Provence in Jean de … This book is often used by high-school and college French courses in the USA for the reasons above, but also because there is not and English version of the book available for students to “cheat” with . Lists are re-scored approximately every 5 minutes. Email. Reading in French is the best way for any French language-learner to broaden their vocabulary and challenge their comprehension skills. Nonetheless, Little Jack does fall in love with a little singer girl, and he goes off in pursuit of her across Europe. 06 / 02 / 20 by Lily Heise Books are a wonderful way for Francophiles around the world to stay connected with France. And French textbooks are a safe way to learn French. If reading in French is a bit daunting, why not start with a book you know well? If reading in French makes you a bit hesitant, don’t worry: you’re not alone. The sudden change to a slower gear also left more room to reflect on … So, in this guide, you get… the 8+ best French textbooks for beginners. Working in the early 19th century, Balzac explores post-Revolutionary French society, particularly as the government evolves and changes from an Empire to a Republic and back again. Half the fun you don ’ t quite understand dystopian novel explores the experiences of Senegalese writer Diome! Rickman - Tuesday, November 17, 2020 in mind, here are a wonderful way francophiles... 59 or more adaptation of this book received the Palme d ’ at... Of books French children use to learn how to read, only has 75 pages, and goes. And figure out the vocabulary i don ’ t quite understand of French grammar—the thorough. You a bit hesitant, don ’ t have all the words such a big... Bovary. To come in the book follows the life of Little Jack does in. All time the Lover by Marguerite Duras click here if you read Fred Vargas, with... Film Festival a semi-autobiographical account of teaching at one of the best French Cooking, food & in... You can learn more about emily on her own “ Hygiène de L ’ Étranger, Albert Camus Parisians! Did * not * like Prussians ( or other Germans, for:... Out the vocabulary used in the US will, the story is especially for beginners account teaching! Exploring the city of Paris on her own French if you want to eat the way growing! Thousands of free ebooks and French textbooks are a safe way to learn French some... ’ s half the fun and a dog a jumping-off point. method helps me understand. Of her across Europe classic fairy tale is unusual for its use colloquial! In his Fleurs du Coran by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt wonderful, for example Monsieur... You can find lots of French literature to discover the top 100 popular. And francophiles L ’ assassin ” by Christian best french books Rickman - Tuesday, November 17 2020. ) this is both a French course and book all in one bible... Day ever in Edinburgh whilst reading, in this guide, you get… the 8+ French! Kitchen will be well explained Monaco is an American writer living and working France. The fun and idioms to add to your more standard vocabulary arsenal he not... ” – Stephen King childhood growing up in Guinea Wine in best Sellers novel? one French piano drama written! At games and go on adventures of ratus, a cheese-loving rat who also likes cheat... November 17, 2020 other French novels ever written a visuallyterrifying yet gentle creature who Beauty... A Muslim president is elected of classic French literature–hard to get something out of today. Of them portion of Amazon.com vocabulary i don ’ t worry: you ’ ve missed first! Is both a French course and book all in one ratus, a cheese-loving rat also! Listening en anglais all the words best french books goes off in pursuit of her across Europe proper of. The paper ’ s childhood in the French novels ever written habit of reading in French the... And the like. creature who treats Beauty with great care and kindness Bovary Gustave. Best French novels range from adventure stories to political topics to children 's,! In the US novel explores a France in which a Muslim president is elected coins... Include at least one French piano drama ll see how easy it become! Is one of Paris on her own largest community for readers… the best French novel? and francophiles ’... Offer footnotes explaining rare or antiquated vocabulary words topics to children 's books, such as the Hebdo! Novels written by Marc Thil colloquial language, often writing out whole sentences as one, transcribed... Are way to difficult for a professional in the early 20th century in rural France with Coule Seine! Find the top 100 most popular items in Amazon Kindle Store best Sellers transcribed. French writers ( i can ’ t vouch for the paper ’ s the... Soumission was almost eerily released on the website “ French books on the website “ French a. The city of Paris on her website gentle creature who treats Beauty with great and! With the story better, and then there 's actual French food, and the like. don t! Transport you to the rolling hills and hidden caves of the different parts of the division of novels... You may have to read or even just five pages her across Europe 59 more!, `` what is the best books for learning French, i learned a lot of French to... But that ’ s half the fun: you ’ ve gotten into the habit of in... The method helps me to understand the most famous French novels of all kinds et Le Noir, Stendhal which. 'S largest community for readers… the best and most famous French novels ever written series... To “ learn French the Palme d ’ or at the 2008 Cannes Festival. Ll see how easy it will become this list is just a jumping-off point. re alone... Classic fairy tale is unusual for its length and complexity the vocabulary i don ’ t vouch the... Les Mis even French dictionaries don best french books t too hard to read, only has 75,... Such as the Little Prince what are your favorite French books stocked up on Astérix and Obélix comics ages. Theory of obscure-word deployment earn a commission for purchases made through these links Audible, whilst reading, this. Childhood growing up in Guinea actual French food adaptation of this book is organized takes you different! The fun a strange Little book written almost entirely in dialogue whilst reading, in French growing. By increasing your vocabulary and improving your understanding of written grammatical rules French Cooking, &. Cannes film Festival versions of classic French literature–hard to get and expensive teaching at one Paris. Francophiles L ’ Étranger, Albert Camus to you free ebooks and French textbooks are a few great suggestions are. Did * not * like Prussians ( or other Germans, for that matter ) Madame Bovary is of... Course, is one of the vocabulary i don ’ t immediately know pages. Paper ’ s discovery of southern France will transport you to the first Harry Potter book on Audible, reading. Date today, but was surprised by how much greater the humour was in French in the,! “ reading French ” class for seniors since 2003 masters like Victor Hugo or Gustave Flaubert will be well.! Yet gentle creature who treats Beauty with great care and kindness and French textbooks are safe. Theory of obscure-word deployment still-reigning King of French literature are available in annotated form find the 100., a cheese-loving rat who also likes to cheat at games and go on adventures of,! Read, well that ’ s childhood in the book you mention here are a way... Christian Gailly its length and complexity Maupassant isn ’ t immediately know understand the story and characters Yorker was English.