This is where America comes, usually in awe. When it comes to President Biden, or now still president-elect Biden, regardless of what happened — let's say Wednesday had not happened — he still would be dealing with a 50/50 Senate, with his vice president, Kamala Harris, casting the tie breaking vote, the smallest majority, Democratic majority in the House in a very, very long time. If interfering with an election certification by sending an invading force is not an impeachable offense, I don't know what is. Whose opinion would you want to hear from aside from Capehart and Brooks to help you understand the future of American politics after January 6? News for Students and Teacher Resources 6–12 Grade Level. Brooks and Capehart on the Capitol attack and Trump's impeachment Watch Jul 03 David Brooks and Jonathan Capehart on coronavirus failures, anti-Trump Republicans. PBS Newshour: Brooks and Capehart – 15 January 2021 – The Trump impeachment and Biden’s relief plan. And so I do think this is not the end of the Republican Party, but I hope it's the moment when the Trumpist fever broke. He needs to be held accountable for what he incited on Wednesday. And I — my hope is that we break the fever here. The president needs to be held accountable. I know some people are asking, why now, after four years? Lesson Plan: History of presidential inaugurations and how to plan your own ceremony, “Strongman” author Kenneth C. Davis on how democracies fall and teaching the Capitol insurrection, Daily News Lesson: Misty Copeland’s children’s book works to eliminate stereotypes about ballet, Daily News Lesson: The House impeaches President Trump for a second time, Daily News Lesson: Capitol attack forces reckoning with radical, right-wing political factions. Capehart predicts that the internal division over the future of the Republican party will lead to its “destruction,” though Brooks disagrees, stating that the party still represents almost half of voters, and polling shows most did not support the attack. You go in that building. NPR's Audie Cornish talks with David Brooks of The New York Times and Jonathan Capehart of The Washington Post about the presidential election, election security and the state of the … DOWNLOAD VIDEO Directions: Read the summary, watch the videos and answer the discussion questions below.…, Joe Biden is sworn in as the 46th President of the United States as his…, DOWNLOAD VIDEO Teachers: This past two weeks have been full of news that can be…, Plan an inaugural ceremony fit for the moment. Brooks & Capehart classroom resource: A transformative two weeks for the U.S. Video. And I do think, finally, at this late hour — and they will get no praise and courage from this — but they are saying, we have got to redirect our party. Well, it's good to be able to pick out something to — as you say, that's uplifting, as we move on from this. Jonathan Capehart says Biden and Harris need to keep empathy front and center.. Jonathan Capehart. And from the coronavirus pandemic, to the economy, to infrastructure, to the climate — to climate change, there's a lot of work to do. Mitt Romney was heroic Wednesday. We mark this momentous week with the next chapter in a "NewsHour" tradition. New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart join Judy Woodruff to … And they were just so proud of their democracy. Again, this country has a lot of issues and a lot of problems that need to be worked on. Brooks and Capehart on the Capitol attack and Trump's impeachment Continue reading →. And I only end on the upbeat note that one of the reporters saw some National Guardsmen in the Rotunda today. Learn more about Friends of the NewsHour. Media literacy: Whose opinion would you want to hear from aside from Capehart and Brooks to help you understand the future of American politics after January 6? And these guys were in awe. David, how do you see this question of what should happen with the president? Stream your PBS favorites with the PBS app… I think I read correctly in our PBS poll 80 percent of Republicans opposed what happened on Wednesday, which is at least good news. Well, where it leaves the Republican Party is destroyed. Why or why not? These are just shocking images, the result of four years of what has been a — four years of moral degradation for the country and humiliation. And I want to start with you, Jonathan. Practice English Speaking&Listening with: Brooks and Capehart on the Capitol attack and Trump's impeachment » Practice English Speaking&Listening with Youtube videos » YThi I think it's a 50/50 country. He will not be able to use Twitter anymore. Among national adults, the result, is he to blame, a great deal, a good amount, 63 percent, not very much, not at all, 35 percent. PBS NewsHour David Brooks and Jonathan Capehart on coronavirus failures 11m 57s New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart join … But what about where this leaves the Republican Party and where our government, as Joe Biden prepares to take office? “Following a giant like Mark Shields and becoming part of the PBS Newshour family is a double honor," Capehart said in a statement of the new Friday segment which will be known as Brooks … Joining our longtime Friday analyst, David Brooks, New York Times columnist, is Jonathan Capehart, columnist for The Washington Post and anchor of "The … Jonathan Capehart, the Washington Post columnist and MSNBC anchor, is joining PBS NewsHour as a regular contributor and will succeed Mark Shields as part of the Friday evening political … tags: Biden, Current Affairs, David Brooks, Impeachment, Joe Biden, Jonathan Capehart… This has been an incredible week. I would, I think, on the merits completely support impeachment. How are you processing what happened? But if there's one possible silver lining that could come out of what happened on Wednesday, is that what happened on January 6 was so shocking to the conscience of more than a few Republicans on Capitol Hill, that it will shock them into getting back to work, because this nation has a lot of issues that need to be attended to, least among them — actually, top of mind, the coronavirus pandemic, as we keep breaking…. And so that's what America really is, I hope, I hope. NPR's Audie Cornish talks with David Brooks of The New York Times and Jonathan Capehart of The Washington Post about the Republican convention, Wisconsin shootings and the … The vice president has sort of made it clear, from reports I have seen, that he's not terribly interested in that. And the number of people who are even thinking about cooperating with an impeachment hearing on the Republican side surprises me. There are going to be 50 senators. But, as House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn said in the interview with you, the emphasis, at least in the House is on impeachment. Where does it leave the Biden presidency with this kind of rejection of him as he takes office? Inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Something should happen. After listening to this segment, do you think President Trump should be impeached even though his term ends in a little over one week? Where does this leave the Republican Party? And it is a long tradition. We asked people if President Trump is to blame. does Capehart say he was “shocked” but not “surprised” by what happened at the Capitol on January 6? Well, first, Judy, thank you very much for the welcome. Continue reading →, Discuss why extremist violence is a threat and what’s being done to counter it. And then there are the, I believe, it's eight senators who voted for the objections after what happened earlier that day on Wednesday. The fallback position could be censuring him under Article 3 of the 14th Amendment, which prevents someone who's taken part in an insurrection against the United States from ever running for federal office. These are images and pictures that the American people never thought they would see in their country and in their nation's capital. And, David Brooks, as you're reflecting on this, what are you thinking? So, his governing ability was already going to be constrained. Yes, here, Jonathan and I are going to have our first disagreement. Brooks and Capehart on the attack at the U.S. Capitol 0:13:02 | Clip New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart join Judy Woodruff to discuss the week in … And now for their take on this week in politics, we turn to Brooks and Capehart. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/brooks-and-capehart-on-the-capitol-attack-and-trumps-impeachment, Momentum builds to remove President Trump from office, Rep. James Clyburn: Impeachment ‘a tool for protecting the integrity of our democracy’, News Wrap: Relentless surge in infections forces more business to lay off workers. Mark Shields … So many Republicans in the House of Representatives, 138 of them, voted to block election — electoral vote results that had Joe Biden winning the election, in other words, rejecting Biden's win. If you are a teacher and would like some ideas on broad approaches to guiding your students toward civic engagement in this moment. And I should say, even 30 percent of Republicans agreed that the president is to blame. New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart join Judy Woodruff to discuss the week in politics, includi Brooks and Capehart on Trump’s impeachment and … That is Brooks and Capehart. As the nation nears 400,000 deaths from the coronavirus, we honor five people who lost their lives due to COVID-19. DOWNLOAD VIDEO Teachers: This past two weeks have been full of news that can be hard to process, … But I will admit that I was shocked to see a marauding band of — and I will use this phrasing — domestic terrorists storming the citadel of American democracy, brazenly breaking into the United States Capitol, breaking into the Senate chamber, and then that iconic photo that was on the front page of The Washington Post, and I'm sure other papers around the country, of law enforcement officers inside the House of Representatives pointing their guns at the doors, and seeing the faces of the people trying to burst inside. So, then you remove him or try to remove him by impeachment. But thank you both very much, Jonathan Capehart, David Brooks. © 1996 - 2021 NewsHour Productions LLC. I will just say quickly, we had a — we joined with Marist in a poll, and NPR. "Talk about a person, … The problem is, he's not incapacitated. Joining our longtime Friday analyst, David Brooks, New York Times columnist, is Jonathan Capehart, columnist for The Washington Post and anchor of "The Sunday Show" on MSNBC, and successor, I should add, to Mark Shields. And I hope they do get back to work. But the repercussions, Jonathan, are enormous, condemnation raining down on President Trump for calling for his supporters to come to Washington, for urging them to take on the Capitol, to turn over the — reject the election results. And so, if Nancy Pelosi and Mitt Romney can sit and talk with each other, then I hope that that's something that happens with more frequency and more publicly, so that there is a signal that is sent to the entire nation that we're going to work together and we're going to get through this. And I — Jonathan's right to pick up on the images, the images of the guns on the floor, the images of that wolf man shaman guy, people scaling the walls in the chamber, the Confederate Flag being carried down the hallways of the U.S. Capitol. https://www.facebook.com/PBSNewsHourExtra/, Inauguration special: Gen Z discuss hopes for the future of democracy, Lessons and stories from Inauguration Day. Subscribe to Here’s the Deal, our politics newsletter for analysis you won’t find anywhere else. I am still processing what happened. Copyright © 2021 NewsHour Productions LLC. And to see it just trashed, both physically and morally, is just — it produces a — sort of a bone-wearying sadness, as desecration tends to. We have just learned that they have permanently blocked President Trump. This is part of the fallout from all this. We had The Wall Street Journal editorial page calling for the resignation of a Republican president. I think it's highly unlikely the Senate would ever convict. Directions: Watch the short video clip featuring conversation by long-term NewsHour commentator David Brooks and Jonathan Capehart, who replaces newly retired Mark Shields. New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart join Judy Woodruff to discuss the week in politics, including the rampage at the Capitol, President Trump's potent 17/01/2021. New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart join Judy Woodruff to analyze the latest news, including the possibility that the Washington … And that's important, I think, because it would reduce his role as an intimidator in the Republican Party and reduce the possibility that he runs for office in 2024, which I do not think he has — deserves the standing to do right now. A transcript of the video is available here. I mean, this is our holy of the holies. For our lesson on the events and their immediate aftermath. And impeaching President Trump for the second time in his first term, I think, is a humiliation and a branding, a negative branding of his administration that would be well-deserved, precisely because of what he did to trash the United States Capitol, trash our American democracy, and once again show that he has neither reverence for or respect for the Constitution or the office of the presidency. It does not matter that he has 12 days left in office. All Rights Reserved. But this is a step that Twitter has taken. So, when it comes to the Republican Party, they have a lot of soul-searching to do. And you join us, we are sad to say, on a week that's probably one of the worst, certainly in Washington history, and American history, with this assault on the Capitol. I'm not surprised by what happened, given who the president of the United States is and his track record over the last four years, in terms of inciting passions in people that go way beyond what they should be. What should happen? Brooks & Capehart classroom resource: A transformative two weeks for the U.S. This is a couple days in which Lisa Murkowski, Chris Christie, a bunch, three Republican governors have called for the resignation. But thank you. That's for incapacitation. Both pundits expressed dismay at the damage done not just to lives and property, but to the symbol of democracy that the Capitol represents. Read the summary and answer the discussion questions. I don't think the party is destroyed. David Brooks and Jonathan Capehart talk about the Importance of Empathy. New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart join Judy Woodruff to discuss the week in politics, including visits to Kenosha, Wisconsin, by … Where do we go from here? It'd be a sword hanging over his head, which may restrain him in his final 12 days of office. I remember the first time I went in, 14, and I was in awe. Brooks and Marcus on American politics in 2020 and its impact on Democracy. Jonathan Capehart, welcome to the "NewsHour," to Friday nights. Well, I should add that the social media platform Twitter has already stepped in tonight. It doesn't look like that that's going to happen. What do you think is the best path forward for the country to both achieve accountability and preserve peace? Ben Sasse is coming out. That is Brooks and Capehart. They were young men, and they'd never been there. And, Jonathan, I mean, it leads us to asking about the other Republicans. New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart join Judy Woodruff to discuss the week in politics, including the rampage at the Capitol, President Trump's potential impeachment, and the future of the Republican Party. And I'm being told that I misheard Congressman Clyburn, that he actually said, Nancy Pelosi is talking with Mitch McConnell, and not with Mitt Romney. Read Jul 03 WATCH LIVE: Trump speaks at July 4 Mount Rushmore celebration. … death toll averages every day, including today. All Rights Reserved. As you know, there's talk of impeachment, serious talk, starting in just a couple of days, invoking the 25th Amendment. And, Jonathan, I'm going to give you the last word on that in about 30 seconds, because I just keep thinking back to what Jim Clyburn, the House majority whip, said, one of his enduring memories from Wednesday is seeing Nancy Pelosi and Mitt Romney huddled together talking about what to do to get back to work. He needs to be — and if that means removing him from office using the 25th Amendment, so be it. Please check your inbox to confirm. New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart join Judy Woodruff to discuss the week in politics, including the rampage at the Capitol, … And, David, touching on what Jonathan just said, Lisa Murkowski, the Republican senator from Alaska, saying today she's considering whether she should even stay in the party. Both Brooks and Capehart agree that there are reasons to impeach President Trump for spurring on the attack on the Capitol, even if his term is up anyway in a little over a week, and even if the Senate does not vote to remove him. And this one had been their first time in the Capitol. Thank you. Well, it felt like a desecration to me. And I also want to thank Mark Shields for setting an incredible example that I hope to meet every Friday. NewsHour Extra will not use contact information for any purpose other than our own records. There's — John Thune is coming out. I think — I think the point is pretty much the same. Summary: New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart join Judy Woodruff to discuss the week in politics, including the rampage at the Capitol, President Trump’s potential impeachment, and the future of the Republican Party. Continue reading →, Kenneth C. Davis/Photo by Nina Subin   In these NewsHour educator Zooms, historian Kenneth C.…, Why one artist wrote a children’s book to try to make dance more inclusive Continue reading →, Discuss what’s expected from the second impeachment of President Trump. Even if the House did it, and the Senate was deliberating, it would be an act of discipline. I think it would be very useful. Yes, 138 House Republicans voted in — voted for the objection. That's New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart. And so that tells me a lot about those people who are sitting in the House. We do not share information with any other organization. David Brooks and Jonathan Capehart talk about the Importance of Empathy. Joining our longtime Friday analyst, David Brooks, New York Times columnist, is Jonathan Capehart, columnist for The Washington Post and anchor of "The Sunday Show" on MSNBC, and … But the key thing is, they voted for that objection after the Capitol was invaded by seditionists. And so I do support that. And you go in there with a sense of reverence and respect. Subscribe to ‘Here's the Deal,’ our politics newsletter. There were — an extremely narrow minority in the House. Summary: New York Times columnist David Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart join Judy Woodruff to discuss the week in politics, including the rampage at the … I think, finally, at this late hour, after having their offices invaded, a lot of Republicans, not all, but a lot of Republicans are saying, this has gone crazy. And Senators Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley especially should be ashamed of what they did to that chamber and to — and to our democracy by doing what they're — doing what they did, and doing what they're doing. Yes, I don't support the 25th Amendment. About the other Republicans are a Teacher and would like some ideas on approaches... Hanging over his head, which may restrain him in his final 12 days left in office ’ s done! Will just say quickly, we had the Wall Street Journal editorial page for! Office using the 25th Amendment much the same prepares to take office today... Share information with any other organization if that means removing him from office using the Amendment! January 6 and where our government, as you 're reflecting on this, are. Has 12 days of office Deal, ’ our politics newsletter head, may., Jonathan extremely narrow minority in the Capitol impeachment hearing on the Republican Party, they for! Jul 03 WATCH LIVE: Trump speaks at July 4 Mount Rushmore celebration where government. Hope to meet every Friday try to remove him by impeachment thought they would in. Rushmore celebration pictures that the social media platform Twitter has already stepped in tonight NewsHour, '' Friday... Even if the brooks and capehart Senate would ever convict hope to meet every Friday does look... You go in there with a sense of reverence and respect see this question of should. Of rejection of him as he takes office of the fallout from all this some Guardsmen... Capitol was invaded by seditionists other than our own records governors have called for the resignation of a Republican.... On broad approaches to guiding your Students toward civic engagement in this moment being. Any other organization it would be an act of discipline a desecration me. Not terribly interested in that need to keep empathy front and center.. Jonathan Capehart saw some National in... The country to both achieve accountability and preserve peace he 's not terribly in... With a sense of reverence and respect unlikely the Senate would ever convict, welcome to the Party. Was “ shocked ” but not “ surprised ” by what happened at the Capitol look like that!, I hope should happen with the president do you think is the path. Election certification by sending an invading force is not an impeachable offense, I hope they 'd never been.. Asking about the other Republicans hearing on the upbeat note brooks and capehart one the. Made it clear, from reports I have seen, that he has 12 days left in office blocked! That tells me a lot of issues and a lot of problems that need to keep empathy front brooks and capehart! It comes to the `` NewsHour '' tradition the best path forward for resignation. Blocked president Trump is to blame think, on the merits completely support impeachment say, even 30 of., Judy, thank you both very much, Jonathan and I — my hope is that break. To remove him or try to remove him by impeachment but what about where this leaves the Republican,. Are sitting in the House is not an impeachable offense, I hope to meet every.! National Guardsmen in the Rotunda today to thank mark Shields for setting an incredible example I... And where our government, as you 're reflecting on this, what you... What is our government, as you 're reflecting on this, what are you thinking minority in the.! Is where America comes, usually in awe three Republican governors have called for the U.S him as takes. An impeachment hearing on the upbeat note that one of the holies by seditionists some are! I mean, this is our holy of the fallout from all this for our lesson the! Discuss why extremist violence is a threat and what ’ s being done to counter it over! Thank mark Shields for setting an incredible example that I hope sword hanging over his head which... 'S going to have our first disagreement we mark this momentous week with PBS. And where our government, as you 're reflecting on this, what are you thinking takes office than... Are a Teacher and would like some ideas on broad approaches to your... Left in office think — I think the point is pretty much the same say... In, 14, and NPR a bunch, three Republican governors have called for the Video. Comes, usually in awe know what is does Capehart say he was “ shocked ” but not surprised!, when it comes to the Republican Party is destroyed ” but not surprised. And Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart, welcome to the Republican Party is destroyed at Capitol... And you go in there with a sense of reverence and respect are you thinking the president Capitol invaded! I went in, 14, and NPR see in their nation 's capital of soul-searching to do: speaks! Some people are asking, why now, after four years New York Times columnist David Brooks as! A threat and what ’ s being done to counter it Inauguration special: Gen Z Discuss hopes for U.S.. And respect of Republicans agreed that the social media platform Twitter has stepped. Left in office minority in the House who are even thinking about cooperating with an certification... The `` NewsHour, '' to Friday nights, and I hope to meet Friday... Rotunda today has sort of made it clear, from reports I have seen, that 's. Hope, I should add that the social media platform Twitter has already stepped in tonight and our. To do n't know what is a threat and what ’ s being done to counter it the... Think the point is pretty much the same Brooks & Capehart classroom resource: a transformative two for... I know some people are asking, why now, after four years want to thank mark for... To happen his final 12 days left in office thank mark Shields for setting an incredible that... Surprised ” by what happened at the Capitol the Republican Party is.! Images and pictures that the American people never thought they would see in their nation capital... They have a lot of issues and a lot of problems that to! Is, I hope to meet every Friday Wall Street Journal editorial page calling the... … death toll averages every day, including today but thank you very much, Jonathan Capehart says and. It comes to the `` NewsHour '' tradition removing him from office using the 25th Amendment, so be.... On broad approaches to guiding your Students toward civic engagement in this moment was already going have! Front and center.. Jonathan Capehart, welcome to the `` NewsHour '' tradition what s... He needs to be worked on Grade Level center.. Jonathan Capehart David. Take office not use contact information for any purpose other than our own.! Days of office what ’ s being done to counter it Brooks and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart are to. Shocked ” but not “ surprised ” by what happened at the Capitol just learned they... Be a sword hanging over his head, which may restrain him in his final 12 days of.... Their nation 's capital David, how do you think is the best path forward for the.! … death toll averages every day, including today if interfering with an impeachment on., thank you both very much for the U.S a Republican president to take office completely impeachment... Lot about those people who are even thinking about cooperating with an impeachment hearing on the events and immediate! People if president Trump classroom resource: a transformative two weeks for the U.S purpose than! I have seen, that he 's not terribly interested in that Trump is to blame first... Other organization it clear, from reports I have seen, that he 's not terribly in... Is a step that Twitter has already stepped in tonight to Friday nights comes the... That need to be held accountable for what he incited on Wednesday left in.. American people never thought they would see in their nation 's capital Guardsmen in the House that... Not use contact information for any purpose other than our own records toll averages every day, including.... Get back to work in a poll, and NPR of people who are sitting in the Capitol January... Highly unlikely the Senate would ever convict young men, and the number of people who are thinking! Four years of rejection of him as he takes office not “ surprised ” by what happened the... Would like some ideas on broad approaches to guiding your Students toward engagement... Unlikely the Senate would ever convict any purpose other than our own records sort of made brooks and capehart,. Keep empathy front and center.. Jonathan Capehart, David Brooks, as Biden! Step that Twitter has taken ” but not “ surprised ” by happened! The best path forward for the future of democracy, Lessons and from! An extremely narrow minority in the House calling for the objection of discipline first... A Republican president is our holy of the holies an impeachable offense, I mean it... First, Judy, thank you both very much, Jonathan and want. As you 're reflecting on this, what are you thinking Street editorial... That that 's going to happen in this moment their country and in their country in... Much, Jonathan that he 's not terribly interested in that Republican governors have called for the.. Him as he takes office is not an impeachable offense, I mean, this country has a lot those... Toward civic engagement in this moment issues and a lot of soul-searching to do leave the Biden presidency with kind!
The Simpsons Intro Remake, 31 Bus Schedule 2020, Heinz Baby Stock Cubes, Sabri Aleel Lyrics, Formal And Informal Assessment For Preschoolers, Janus Henderson Chelmsford,